Home record goes south against FC Twente

Feyenoord’s 28-match unbeaten home run came to an end at De Kuip Sunday afternoon against FC Twente. The hosts took a first time lead through Graziano Pellè, but a red card for debut boy Jordy van Deelen in the second half was a key turning point. A second red card for Feyenoord within eight minutes, this time for Stefan de Vrij, killed the game completely, as FC Twente ran out 1-4 winners.

Feyenoord started the game strongly, fully aware that they had to make amends after last week’s loss in Zwolle. There was a good measure of aggression in the hosts’ display, which got the home support on board and behind the team from the get-go.
Yet despite their assertiveness and the immaculate surface, Feyenoord found it difficult to put their guests under sustained pressure due to some shaky passing. Wingers Ruben Schaken and Sekou Cissé saw too little of the ball in threatening positions, which meant that striker Graziano Pellè did not get the service he needed to make life difficult for FC Twente.
When Schaken did get on the ball the threat was clear. The game was four minutes old when fed Pellè, who tested the keeper with a spectacular full volley on the turn.
Immers had the next big chance, midway through the half and Schaken was provider yet again, whipping in a cross that Immers failed to head on target.
Feyenoord finally took the lead from a corner just short of the half-hour mark. Jordy Clasie pumped it in from the left precisely right for Pellè, who nodded in his first competitive goal of the season at the near post.
FC Twente had been fairly ineffective up till then, but after the opener they showed more initiative. Former Feyenoorder Kyle Ebecilio gave his old team something to chew over ten minutes before the break, skimming the bar with a dangerous effort.
But the midfielder was on target within two minutes to draw his side level. Erwin Mulder was still scrambling back to his feet after just managing to divert the ball from under the bar with an outstretched hand, so Ebecilio was able to choose his spot to net.
It was pretty much even-stevens early doors in the second half, but the game took on a completely different complexion coming up to the full hour. Van Deelen stopped Shadrach Eghan from getting through on Mulder and punching off a shot by going to ground and taking the midfielder with him in the box. Referee Liesveld decided the debutant was the last man and sent him off. Dusan Tadic stepped up to stroke the resulting spot-kick home.
It left Feyenoord with an uphill struggle on their hands, but it soon became mission impossible. The game was 65 minutes old when De Vrij was show his second yellow card to leave the hosts with nine men going into the last 25 minutes.
FC Twente were only too happy to take full advantage of their numerical supremacy, putting Feyenoord under increasing pressure.
It resulted in a second penalty with around a quarter of an hour to go. Dico Koppers fell over Joris Mathijsen’s leg in the box; Tadic converted. And there was time for the visitors to add a fourth before the end, when Luc Castaignos finished from close range.
Feyenoord – FC Twente 1-4

29’ 1-0 Pellè
38’ 1-1 Ebecilio
58’ 1-2 Tadic (penalty)
74’ 1-3 Tadic (penalty)
79’ 1-4 Castaignos
Referee: Liesveld
Yellow: Mathijsen (Feyenoord)
Red: Van Deelen (Feyenoord, 57’), De Vrij (Feyenoord, 2x yellow, 65’)
Feyenoord: Mulder; Van Deelen, De Vrij, Mathijsen, Martins Indi; Clasie, Immers, Vilhena; Schaken (68’ Vormer), Pellè, Cissé (63’ Nelom).
FC Twente: Marsman; Rosales, Bengtsson, Bjelland, Koppers; Ebecilio (81’ Janssen), Eghan, Gutierrez; Promes (74’ John), Castaignos (85’ Zschusschen), Tadic.
Feyenoord Business CLub