Late goal puts damper on campaign start

The season started in disappointing fashion for Feyenoord at PEC Zwolle on Sunday. Coach Ronald Koeman’s side conceded in time added on to crash to a 1-2 defeat against the hosts. Ruben Schaken seemed to have salvaged a point from the game late in the second half, but Guyon Fernandez’s last-gasp strike made it a bad first day back at the office for the visitors.

The first half of the corresponding fixture between the two sides last season was a cracker, but the opening 45 minutes at the IJsseldelta Stadium in this campaign’s encounter was a very different experience. The teams went in at the break with the match goalless, and there was little to get excited about.

PEC went closest on the stroke of half time when Maikel van der Werff rattled in a free kick from 20 metres out. The central defender’s effort was headed for the bottom corner, but Erwin Mulder got down well to parry clear. It was just about the first time the visiting keeper had been called upon.

Not that his opposite number had much to do. Save half a chance for Lex Immers, who couldn’t quite find his feet when played in by Ruben Schaken, Feyenoord were unable to put the home defence under any real pressure. Koeman’s side did shade possession, but lacked urgency and showed little in the way of creativity.

The second half showed more promise from the off, with a big chance for both sides. Jesper Drost slalomed past a string of Feyenoorders, some of them twice, before firing in a weak effort against Stefan de Vrij’s leg, which deflected the ball safely out of play. At the other end, Immers headed just over keeper Kevin Begois’s goal from an excellent Miquel Nelom cross.

With the breakthrough still eluding his team Koeman made a double substitution on 62 minutes, with Tonny Vilhena and Wesley Verhoek coming on for Lex Immers and John Goossens. Unfortunately, it didn’t appear to improve the visitors’ ball retention.

In fact it was the hosts who edged ahead three minutes later. Mateusz Klich latched on to a Drost cross to score. The lead was certainly not undeserved, as Feyenoord seemed to have lost their way.

Koeman brought on a third substitute with ten minutes to go, Mitchell Te Vrede coming on as an extra striker in the hope of putting the home side under some serious pressure. And it did have the desired effect: three minutes from time Schaken got his head to the ball after De Vrij had pumped it into the box, redirecting it past Begois for the equaliser.

The international looked to have saved a point for his team, but PEC Zwolle still had one trick up their sleeves. The game was already into injury time when Guyon Fernandez slotted home in the far corner to claim all three points for hosts and leave Feyenoord pointless.

PEC Zwolle – Feyenoord 2-1

65’ 1-0 Klich
87’ 1-1 Schaken
90+2’ 2-1 Fernandez

Referee: Gözübüyük

Yellow: Saymak (PEC Zwolle), Vormer, Vilhena (Feyenoord)

PEC Zwolle:
Boer (16’ Begois); Van Polen, Van der Werff, Broerse (80’ Van Hintum), Achenteh; Saymak (70’ Fernandez), Klich, Mokotjo, Mokhtar; Benson, Drost.
Feyenoord: Mulder; Janmaat, De Vrij, Martins Indi, Nelom; Clasie (80’ Te Vrede), Immers (62’ Vilhena), Vormer; Schaken, Pellè, Goossens (62’ Verhoek).
Feyenoord Business CLub