Feyenoord fight hard for three points against ADO Den Haag

Feyenoord earned a hard-fought win at home to ADO Den Haag Sunday with a late goal by Stefan de Vrij. The visitors pegged the hosts back twice in an exciting, evenly balanced encounter at De Kuip, but had no answer to Dee Vrij’s 87th-minute strike as Feyenoord ran out 3-2 winners. Graziano Pellè and Lex Immers also got their name on the score sheet in a game that ended ten versus ten. Referee Ruud Bossen red-carded both Bruno Martins Indi and Tom Beugelsdijk in the second half.

Feyenoord went in 2-1 at the break but could not be completely satisfied with their performance over the opening 45 minutes. ADO Den Haag pressed hard to break up any home attack as quickly as possible and Feyenoord often found it hard to break out.
When they did, they regularly found a lot of space in the visitors’ half, although they were not always to exploit it properly. That was not only down to ADO Den Haag’s strong defensive play. The hosts were also having trouble using the full width of the field, failing to get wingers Ruben Schaken and Wesley Verhoek into the game enough. Most often the ball was simply pumped up to Graziano Pellè.
Yet the first time the top scorer was given a little more to work with from the flank he showed his worth in front of goal. The game was around a quarter of an hour old when Bruno Martins Indi swept in a peach of a ball from the left. Pellé knocked it on and the ball deflected of the leg of a defender and into the net.
It didn’t take the visitors any time whatsoever to claw Feyenoord back, however. In a fast counter the ball landed at the feet of striker Tjaronn Chery, who played it in to Mike van Duinen on the right side of the penalty box. He couldn’t miss and he didn’t.
After the leveller Feyenoord found it hard to cope with ADO Den Haag’s aggressive play, although Ruud Bossen often gave the visitors’ the benefit of the doubt. The referee was happy to let a number of hard challenges on Pellè go unpunished, but his patience seemed to run out just before half time. The Italian went down in the box after what appeared to be a light challenge, but Bossen pointed to the spot. Lex Immers stepped up to convert against his old club.
It meant the Feyenoord went in at the break with the advantage, only for ADO to tie the game up again twelve minutes after the restart. It came from another penalty. Erwin Mulder pulled off a fine save to deny Tjaronn Chery, but Bossen blew for a foul by Martins Indi as the striker floundered, following up with a red card for the defender. Danny Holla slapped in the spot kick.
The visitors looked to have the upper hand, but only for a short while, as Bossen pulled out his red card again within two minutes. This time he showed it to Beugelsdijk, who used his elbow on Immers. Suddenly, it was anybody’s game again.
ADO Den Haag seemed to be satisfied to play for the draw, but Feyenoord clearly wanted all three points. The hosts’ attacking attitude was rewarded three minutes from the end when De Vrij nodded in from a corner to claim the win.
Feyenoord – ADO Den Haag 3-2

14’ 1-0 Pellè
16’ 1-1 Van Duinen
45 +1’ 2-1 Immers (pen)
57’ 2-2 Holla (pen)
87’ 3-2 Chery

Referee: Bossen
Yellow: Toornstra, Wormgoor, Supusepa, Meijers, Vicento (ADO Den Haag), Elabdellaoui, Mokotjo (Feyenoord)
Red: Martins Indi (56’Feyenoord), Beugelsdijk (58’, ADO Den Haag)
Feyenoord: Mulder; Elabdellaoui (62’ Nelom), De Vrij, Mathijsen, Martins Indi; Clasie, Immers, Vilhena; Verhoek (68’ Boëtius), Pellè, Schaken (89’ Mokotjo).
ADO Den Haag: Coutinho; Omeruo, Wormgoor, Beugelsdijk, Supusepa (89’ Vicento); Toornstra, Holla, Meijers; Poepon (24’ Elbers), Van Duinen, Chery (62’ Malone).
Feyenoord Business CLub