Feyenoord beaten at PSV 

Feyenoord suffered defeat in Eindhoven on Sunday afternoon, going down 3-0 against PSV. The Rotterdammers managed to go in 0-0 at the break but three second-half goals in 15 minutes from Ola Toivonen, Georginio Wijnaldum and Luciano Narsingh secured the points for the hosts. Coach Koeman was forced to replace Joris Mathijsen just before half time after the defender was forced off with an injury.

Feyenoord arrived to Eindhoven full of confidence, and it showed in the opening stages of the encounter. The visitors had most of the ball and looked to be in control of things.

But the home side gradually came back into it as the half wore on and Feyenoord were forced further and further back towards their own goal. PSV started to apply real pressure and it brought the first good chances midway through the first half.

There was relief in the Feyenoord camp when Luciano Narsingh shot wide from close by after a fast home break. The next chance fell to Ola Toivonen, who struck Kostas Lamprou’s bar from distance.

The visitors found themselves with their backs against the ball as the Feyenoord front men failed to string their passes together. Graziano Pellè was putting in a strong performance as a target man, but the Rotterdammers were unable to hold onto the ball or create any real openings.

There was no help from referee Liesveld either. Kevin Strootman’s foul on Pellè in the box – the Italian striker was hauled down from behind – was not felt to be worth a spot kick.

PSV continued to dominate possession and Feyenoord set their sights on reaching half time unscathed. They did manage to keep the clean sheet, but it was not all good news. With the break just a few minutes away Joris Mathijsen signalled to the bench that he was unable to continue and Koeman was left with no option but to bring on Terence Kongolo for the international.

The home side picked up the thread at the start of the second period as Feyenoord were pushed back again. Jeremain Lens screwed an effort wide but otherwise the visitors’ defence was looking strong.

With PSV playing a high line they left space in behind and that led to Feyenoord’s first big opportunity just before the hour mark. Ruben Schaken’s cross reached Pellè, who smashed in a shot, which was saved by Boy Waterman.

PSV finally broke the deadlock not long after. It came from another long-distance Toivonen drive, which this time slipped under the bar and in. It was only what the home side deserved.

Ten minutes later PSV doubled their lead. Former Feyenoorder Georginio Wijnaldum got his head to a Dries Mertens free kick, directing the ball past Lamprou.

Koeman tried to kick-start a fight-back by bringing on Guyon Fernandez for Wesley Verhoek, but it was PSV that grabbed the decisive third goal of the game.

Lamprou saved a Lens effort but the ball fell to Narsingh who left the Greek keeper with no chance. It wrapped up a very expensive quarter of an hour for the visitors.

PSV – Feyenoord 3-0

63’ 1-0 Toivonen
73’ 2-0 Wijnaldum
77’ 3-0 Narsingh

Referee: Liesveld

Yellow: Strootman (PSV), Pellè, Fernandez, Immers (Feyenoord)

Waterman; Hutchinson, Marcelo, Derijck, Ritzmaier; Wijnaldum, Toivonen, Strootman; Narsingh, Lens, Mertens.
Feyenoord: Lamprou; Janmaat, Martins Indi, Mathijsen (45’ Kongolo), Nelom; Leerdam, Immers, Clasie; Verhoek (66’ Fernandez), Pellè, Schaken.
Feyenoord Business CLub