Feyenoord suffered a heavy defeat at the hands of NAC Breda Thursday, ending any hope of European football next season. Needing a win to cancel out the weekend defeat in Breda, the Rotterdammers went down 4-0 to their visitors, bringing a season of disappointment to an abrupt end. It proved top be a sad swansong for Michael Mols and Henk Timmer in their final game for the club.

Feyenoord were the better side for the opening half hour at De Kuip, but Rob Penders put a big dint in the hosts’ confidence on 31 minutes. The defender was first to the ball after Tyrone Loran headed against Henk Timmer’s body from a left-sided free kick. Penders reacted fastest to stab the ball in the net.

It was the worst possible scenario for the home team, who now needed two goals to take the tie to a third game. Indeed, Feyenoord were the architects of their own downfall, playing with little imagination or urgency in the opening period.

The only exception was a move on ten minutes that ended with the ball at Jon Dahl Tomasson’s feet. The Dane was forced out wide, but with no one in the middle he tried to hit the target, only finding the side net.
Feyenoord were finding it difficult to pass fluently, which resulted in a number of home players cutting out the middleman and getting in an early shot. André Bahia let rip just under the half-hour mark, but his 30-metre effort was well saved by Jelle Ten Rouwelaar. Subsequent efforts from Karim El Ahmadi and Leroy Fer were less of a test for the visitors’ keeper.

The away goal gave the visitors some breathing room and NAC sat back more to defend in numbers and trying to catch Feyenoord on the break. Those tactics generated a big chance for Loran, who got into the box again just after the goal, but poked his effort wide. On the stroke of half time Donny Gorter took advantage when El Ahmadi lost possession, but he too was unable to find the target with his shot.

With an extra striker on the pitch in the shape of substitute Michael Mols, Feyenoord made a strong start to the second half. Full aware that it was win or bust, the hosts endeavoured to get the ball into the danger zone sooner. One such move left Diego Biseswar with the ball on the left wing. His cross reached Tomasson, but the Dane headed wide.

NAC were left just needing to defend their lead and the visitors did that well, adopting a counter-attacking game that relied on the speed of twin strikers Lurling and Joonas Kolkka. It produced a second goal for NAC five minutes after the break. Lurling made a diagonal run before feeding Martijn Reuser in the box. The substitute wasted no time getting his shot off, giving Timmer with no chance whatsoever.

The goal left Feyenoord needing three goals in the last forty minutes of so, and Vlemmings responded by leaving two men in defence and telling his tem to play further up the pitch.

Feyenoord looked like they might have had a penalty just past the hour mark, when Biseswar was pulled down in the box, but referee Braamhaar waved play on.

The decision really knocked the stuffing out of the hosts and NAC took the initiative. Kees Kwakman netted a third goal with five minutes left after Timmer had parried a Boukhari shot. And a minute or so later Kolkka added a fourth with a fine drive into the top corner.

Feyenoord – NAC Breda 0-4
31’ 0-1 Penders
52’ 0-2 Reuser
85’ 0-3 Kwakman
87’ 0-4 Kolkka

Referee: Braamhaar

Bookings: Bahia, Boukhari

Feyenoord: Timmer; Leerdam (71’ Tiendalli), Landzaat (71’ Tiendalli), Bahia, Van Bronckhorst; Fer, Tomasson, El Ahmadi (46’ Mols); Wijnaldum, Makaay and Biseswar.
NAC Breda: Ten Rouwelaar; Loran (86’ Hofstede), Zwaanswijk, Penders, Mtiliga; Gilissen, Gorter (46’ Reuser), Kwakman; Kolkka, Amoah (32’ Boukhari) and Lurling.
Feyenoord Business CLub