Feyenoord threw away the lead at FC Volendam Sunday to eventually go down to a 2-1 defeat at their relegation-haunted opponents. The home side got back into the game in the second half with two Dominique van Dijk strikes, after Feyenoord had coasted the first half, scoring early through Roy Makaay. It was the striker’s 300th goal in club competitions, but it was not enough to prevent Volendam from claiming all the points. The game also marked Denny Landzaat’s return to action after seven months out injured. Landzaat played the whole game.

The loss meant that Feyenoord passed up the opportunity to move up a place to ninth and within a point of eighth after NEC’s draw with FC FC Twente Friday night and FC Utrecht’s loss at home to FC Groningen a day later.

The picture looked a lot rosier after the end of a first half that Feyenoord negotiated fairly comfortably. The Rotterdammers were not playing the prettiest football, but Leon Vlemmings made sure that his side would not fail due to a lack of commitment. They were solid at the back and Henk Timmer was reduced to the role of spectator, not being called into action a single time in the opening 45.

Feyenoord failed to inject the appropriate pace into their own game, but still managed to create a number of opportunities. With five minutes gone Diego Biseswar sped towards goal from the right, but his shot hit keeper Jeroen Verhoeven’s post.

The post denied Georginio Wijnaldum again on the stroke of half time, after an inch-perfect pass from Makaay. Midway through the half, Verhoeven had not been helped by the frame of the goal when Kelvin Leerdam shot and had to scramble to prevent Feyenoord from doubling their lead.

Makaay had given the visitors the edge on ten minutes. Theo Lucius did well in the build up, covering a vast amount of ground with the ball at his feet before playing the ball into Makaay, who stroked it into the far corner.

The second goal almost came after the break. André Bahia had a great opportunity to head his side into the comfort zone from a corner, but ultimately the afternoon’s second strike arrived at the opposite end.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst had enough time to clear it a few metres from Timmer’s goal, but he tried to play himself out of danger. The ball fell to Dominique van Dijk, who rolled it through Timmer’s legs and into the net.

The goal changed the game completely. The pace picked up as the ball moved from one end to the other. Both sides pressed for the winner, and Feyenoord looked the most likely to get it, creating the best chances.

The game was a little under an hour old when Verhoeven just managed to deny Landzaat, whose shot looked destined for the top corner. Five minutes later Makaay, Wijnaldum and Leerdam all went close, but not close enough, with efforts to convert Biseswar’s in-swinging free kick.

So it came as a hammer blow when the home side edged in front on 82 minutes. Van Dijk did well to anticipate a ball on the halfway that fell between Bahia and Van Bronckhorst. It left the midfielder with an open run towards Timmer’s goal and the keeper could do nothing to prevent the strike from hitting the back of the net.

Michael Mols came on for Luigi Bruins as Vlemmings looked to get back on terms at the death, but although Biseswar did hit a post Feyenoord were left thinking of what might have been as their opponents lifted themselves off the bottom the table.

FC Volendam – Feyenoord 2-1
10’ 0-1 Makaay
57’ 1-1 Van Dijk
82’ 2-1 Van Dijk

Referee: Nijhuis
Bookings: Fer, De Wit

FC Volendam: Verhoeven; Maynard (80’ Yildiz), Schilder, Boots, Koning; Van Dijk, De Wit, De Lange, Meijers; Sheotahul and Platje (71’ Van Zaanen).
Feyenoord: Timmer; Leerdam (71’ Tiendalli), Lucius, Bahia, Van Bronckhorst; Landzaat, Bruins (82’ Mols), Fer; Wijnaldum (71’ Slory), Makaay and Biseswar.
Feyenoord Business CLub