Feyenoord won only their second away Eredivisie fixture of the season Sunday against De Graafschap. Karim El Ahmadi gave the Rotterdammers the lead early in the second half in Doetinchem, before Jon Dahl Tomasson secured the points in time added on. The 2-0 victory eases Leon Vlemmings’ team up to eleventh place in the table.

Feyenoord’s afternoon at De Vijverberg stadium started promisingly. The visitors created the game’s first chance after just 33 seconds. Keeper Erik Heijblok did well to save Georginio Wijnaldum’s shot from the edge of the box.

The game might have started with a bang, but it soon fizzled out and in the end the first half was a rather dour affair. Feyenoord did string together one nice attack on around ten minutes, with a multifaceted move that was extremely easy on the eye, but, as a whole, the game was not that attractive truth be told.

The visitors did just about have the best of it in the opening 45, but chances were few and far between. And when Feyenoord did penetrate far enough to trouble Heijblok, the final ball was invariably disappointing.

De Graafschap’s game plan was based on commitment and opportunism, a strategy that produced two dangerous moments in the first half. Past the half-hour mark Rogier Meijer was a foot short of connecting with a Ben Sahar cross, while Luuk de Jong shot wide just ahead of the break under pressure from Theo Lucius.

Feyenoord had the first opportunities of the second half too. This time was it was a genuine omen. Wijnaldum and Diego Biseswar both played in Makaay in front of goal in close succession, but the striker was unable to convert either effort.

Karim El Ahmadi managed to break the deadlock ten minutes after the break, though. The midfielder struck from the edge of the penalty area without a defensive challenge to deal with.

It looked like Feyenoord would take control of the game from then on. The Rotterdammers dominated possession, camping in the hosts’ half for the most part. Biseswar went close with a cracking shot that Heijblok had to work hard to keep out.

De Graafschap didn’t stop putting in their shift, however, and might have got back on level terms through Sahar just after the hour chime. The Israeli rattled in a rasping drive that went just over Henk Timmer’s goal. The keeper’s clean sheet was threatened again a quarter of an hour before the end, as the hosts peppered his goal with shots in a crazy few moments following a corner.

The chances fired the home side on and it resulted in a sustained period of pressure near the end. Shots by substitutes Jeffrey Oost and Steve de Ridder lacked direction, though, ending up in the stands.

Tomasson broke home hearts right at the death to wrap up the points for Feyenoord. The game was deep into added time when Andwélé Slory and Tomasson were left to advance on Heijblok’s goal unchallenged. The Dane finished the move with a simple tap-in.

The striker was so pleased with his contribution that he threw his shirt to the travelling fans after the final whistle, which came soon after. A number of his team-mates followed his example, showing how important the win was to Feyenoord.

De Graafschap – Feyenoord 0-2
54’ 0-1 El Ahmadi
90’ 0-2 Tomasson

Referee: Blom
Bookings: Meijer, Van Bronckhorst

De Graafschap: Heijblok; Nalbantoglu, Keller, Buijs, Fränkel; Schuurman (74’ De Ridder), Meijer (62’ Oost), Jungschläger, Wuytens; De Jong (62’ Den Ouden) and Sahar.
Feyenoord: Timmer; Lucius, Bahia, Hofland, Van Bronckhorst; El Ahmadi (85’ Leerdam), Tomasson, Fer; Wijnaldum, Makaay (82’ Slory) and Biseswar (77’ Bruins).

Feyenoord Business CLub