Feyenoord played out a 1-1 draw against Twente Sunday in Enschede. The Rotterdammers had a tough afternoon in Grolsch Veste, going behind within the opening fifteen minutes though a Blaise Nkufo spot-kick. Roy Makaay brought Feyenoord back on level terms early in the second half with another penalty. FC Twente looked most likely to grab all three points, but Feyenoord held on for a credible draw, given the number of teenagers in the line-up. Including Luis Pedro and Kelvin Leerdam, who both made their Eredivisie debut.

Feyenoord were unable to make things difficult for FC Twente in the opening half. Makaay rifled off the visitors’ only goal attempt before the break after racing onto a Kevin Hofland through ball.

The home side did not pose much of a threat themselves in the early stages, but they did grab the opening goal just before the quarter-hour mark. Eljero Elia got away from Dwight Tiendalli, who was unable to stop the speedy forward without resorting to a foul. Referee Bossen pointed to the spot and doled out a yellow card to the Feyenoord defender. Blaise Nkufo converted the penalty.

It was unsurprising that Elia was the man to get the penalty. The winger was the only player on the pitch to look anywhere near dangerous in the first half, although Twente like Feyenoord created no real clear-cut chances. There was a bit of a scare in the final minute of the half, but Feyenoord survived to go in at the break just a goal behind.

Feyenoord got back on terms straight after the break and the visitors’ goal also came from the spot. Luis Pedro was scythed down in the box and Bossen awarded a penalty. Makaay remained cool and collected, stroking the ball past Sander Boschker.

The game burst into life after the leveller. Both sides looked to go forward at every opportunity, which made for an entertaining second half. Theo Janssen threatened no fewer than three times from a free kick, but the bar, Timmer and Hofland foiled the home midfielder in succession.

Timmer dislocated a finger on that last occasion. The keeper stayed on the field and was lucky when Nkufo headed over from a corner not long after.

There were twenty minutes left on the clock when Gertjan Verbeek brought on Michael Mols for Michal Janota, as Feyenoord ended the game with two strikers on the pitch. Verbeek was looking for his front men to hold onto the ball more and so take the pressure off at the back as the home side put the Rotterdammers under the cosh.

Twente looked to have found the breakthrough with ten minutes left, but Elia’s goal was ruled out for pushing on Tiendalli. Although the hosts kept on pushing to the end, they were unable to get the winner. Janssen did go close with one of his trademark free kicks, which almost grazed Timmer’s left post.

FC Twente – Feyenoord 1-1
13’ 1-0 Nkufo (pen)
53’ 1-1 Makaay (pen)

Referee: Bossen
Bookings: Tiendalli, Van Bronckhorst, El Ahmadi, Douglas

FC Twente: Boschker; Stam, Wielaert, Douglas, Braafheid; Brama, Hersi (79’ Huysegems), Janssen; Arnautovic, Nkufo and Elia.
Feyenoord: Timmer; Tiendalli, Bahia, Hofland, De Cler; Pedro (85’ Erasmus), El Ahmadi, Wijnaldum (87’ Leerdam), Van Bronckhorst, Janota (70’ Mols); Makaay.
Feyenoord Business CLub