Feyenoord edged further up the table after a second successive league win Sunday. The Rotterdammers took an early three-goal lead against FC Utrecht at De Kuip, with goals by Giovanni van Bronckhorst and Diego Biseswar (2). The visitors managed to get back into the game with a goal each side of the break, but Karim El Ahmadi and Roy Makaay added further strikes late on to secure a 5-2 win for Feyenoord. Theo Lucius came off the bench near the end to complete his comeback from a toe injury.

Feyenoord could not have got off to a better start in search of three points against Utrecht. Roy Makaay had failed to control Leroy Fer’s through ball in the first minute of the encounter, but that was all forgotten soon after as the Rotterdammers grabbed an early lead.

Alje Schut’s foul on Georginio Wijnaldum earned Feyenoord a free kick about twenty metres from goal. Giovanni van Bronckhorst stepped up to curl the ball around the wall and into the net.

It was just reward for Feyenoord’s strong opening. Utrecht found themselves very much under the cosh early doors as Henk Timmer was reduced to a spectator.

As least he had something to watch as Feyenoord created chances, although a lack of sharpness in front of goal prevented the hosts from extending their lead.

Michel Vorm foiled both Wijnaldum and Van Bronckhorst from free kicks, while Makaay miss-hit a shot in the area and Fer failed to connect from close in.

Feyenoord were nevertheless able to extend their lead to 3-0, thanks mainly to Diego Biseswar. The attacker bagged two in four minutes and both were beauties.

The first even garnered applause from coach Gertjan Verbeek on the sidelines. The game was barely a half-hour old when Biseswar got the ball on the right. There didn’t appear to be any imminent threat to the Utrecht goal, but Biseswar suddenly let rip with a humbling drive that whizzed in the top corner out of the reach of Vorm.

The second was just as dazzling. Sander Keller was caught off balance to leave the way to goal open for Biseswar. Tim Cornelisse was unable to catch the Feyenoord man, who waited until just the right moment to edge the ball past Vorm and into the net.

Utrecht managed to get a goal back soon after, although it came out of the blue. There didn’t seem to be anything on when the ball was pumped high into the area, but Schut reacted first to head the ball past Timmer into the near corner.

Feyenoord were not too put out by the setback and continued to look for goals of their own after the break. But that all changed around the hour-mark when Mihai Nesu brought the lead back to one.

The defender ran through on Timmer, after Wijnaldum had played the ball back to the keeper. Timmer wanted to get the ball away, but his attempt rebounded off Nesu and into the net.

It almost went from bad to worse twenty minutes from time. Ali Boussaboun escaped his marker to get in a shot that forced a save out of Timmer.

Feyenoord also created opportunities in the final quarter of the game. The biggest fell to Van Bronckhorst. The skipper rifled in a bullet of a free kick from way out that hit the inside of the post and rebounded to Biseswar, who failed to convert.

Feyenoord finally managed to put the game to bed two minutes from time. Substitute Theo Lucius rounded off a fine dribble by finding Makaay. The big man played in Karim El Ahmadi with a pass round the corner that the midfielder placed out of reach of Vorm.

The hosts even managed to add a fifth before the end. This time the finisher was Makaay who judged a high ball better than his marker Keller. Makaay smashed in a shot at full pelt from the edge of the box and the ball flew in just under the bar.

Feyenoord – FC Utrecht 5-2
5’ 1-0 Van Bronckhorst
27’ 2-0 Biseswar
31’ 3-0 Biseswar
33’ 3-1 Schut
56’ 3-2 Nesu
89’ 4-2 El Ahmadi
90’ 5-2 Makaay

Referee: Braamhaar
Bookings: El Ahmadi, Hofland, Van Bronckhorst, Cornelisse, Van Dijk

Feyenoord: Timmer; Tiendalli, Bahia, Hofland, De Cler; Wijnaldum (81’ Bruins), Fer (85’ Lucius), El Ahmadi, Van Bronckhorst; Makaay and Biseswar.
FC Utrecht: Vorm; Cornelisse, Keller, Schut, Nesu (86’ Skoaubo); Silberbauer, Van Dijk, Caluwé (81’ Maguire); Van der Gun, Boussaboun (71’ George) and Loval.
Feyenoord Business CLub