Feyenoord came from two goals down to earn a hard-fought point at De Kuip Sunday. Roy Makaay scored his first goal of the season halfway through the second half with a bullet free kick to give the Rotterdammers a chance after Paolo Henrique and Danijel Pranjic had given the visitors the advantage. The hosts refused to give up though and Michael Mols got the equaliser in injury time.

Heerenveen began the match with all guns blazing, threatening the home goal in the opening minute with long-distance drives from both Danijel Pranjic (wide) and Michael Dingsdag (save by Timmer), while Christian Grindheim shot wide from just inside the box on ten minutes.

The hurricane warning could be downgraded fairly soon however, as Feyenoord started to take control of the game. Roy Makaay was back in the starting line-up after recovering from a groin injury and he had a central role in the hosts’ game plan. Feyenoord often played through the big man, who was posing a threat in the final third.

That appeared to pay dividends in the opening stages, when the striker tapped the ball into an open goal from a Diego Biseswar pass. The celebrations were cut short however as Biseswar was ruled offside.

The striker’s next effort was a short midway through the first half that brought a save from keeper Brian Vandenbussche. Not long after Makaay was played in again, this time by a fine long ball from Kevin Hofland. Makaay almost threaded the ball through to Luigi Bruins, who was storming in, but a defender managed to get in the way.

Just as Feyenoord seemed to be getting on top the visitors grabbed the lead. Heerenveen had scarcely threatened the home goal when Gerald Sibon headed a corner back across goal where Paolo Henrique beat Henk Timmer at the post to head his side ahead.

Heerenveen started the second half as dynamically as the first, but this time they were quickly rewarded for their attacking mindset. Grindheim found Pranjic with a through ball and the Croatian finished the move off by netting.

Both teams showed full commitment in the pouring rain. Feyenoord brought on an extra striker in the shape of Michael Mols just before the hour and pushed forward at every opportunity, while the visitors looked to play on the counter.

It produced a dangerous moment at the back for the home side when Beerens latched onto a deep ball only for Timmer to defuse the threat.

Mostly though Heerenveen were on the back foot as Feyenoord drove forward in an electric atmosphere. The hosts sculptured a number of good chances, but Biseswar, Van Bronckhorst and Fer all lacked sharpness in front of goal.

The Rotterdammers did manage to pull a vital goal back with twenty minutes left on the clock however. Makaay whipped in a free kick hard and low to make it 1-2.

With the clock running down inexorably it looked like Feyenoord were going down to a fourth successive league defeat. Mols had hit the bar with an effort ten minutes from time, but with the game well into injury time he final made the breakthrough. Kevin Hofland nodded an attempted Vandenbussche clearance back into the danger zone and Mols nipped in between two defenders to head Feyenoord level.

Feyenoord – sc Heerenveen 2-2
35’ 0-1 Henrique
48’ 0-2 Pranjic
70’ 1-2 Makaay
90’ 2-2 Mols

Referee: Luinge
Bookings: Bahia, Van Bronckhorst, Fer, Väyrynen, Breuer

Feyenoord: Timmer; Greene (67’ Tiendalli), Bahia, Hofland, De Cler (77’ Janota); Wijnaldum, Bruins (59’ Mols), Van Bronckhorst, Fer, Biseswar; Makaay.
Sc Heerenveen: Vandenbussche; Breuer; Bak Nielsen, Dingsdag, Jong-A-Pin; Grindheim (80’ Svec), Väyrynen, Pranjic; Sibon (73’ Popov), Henrique (60’ Kalou) and Beerens.
Feyenoord Business CLub