Feyenoord made hard work of defeating TOP Oss in Wednesday’s second round cup tie at De Kuip. The hosts had to wait until the first minute of extra time to take the lead, although it was freewheeling from there. Roy Makaay scored the vital opener, while Michal Janota marked his official debut in a Feyenoord shirt by grabbing a brace in the second period of extra time.

Feyenoord started the tie poorly, failing to create anything of note in the opening 25 minutes, save a shot from Diego Biseswar, which lacked power. The youngster had exhausted himself evading several visitors to get his shot off. The game’s first chance had actually fallen to TOP. Charles Kazlauskas rattled the bar from close in after just two minutes.

The hosts began to get into the match more in the latter stages of the first half. It resulted in a few dangerous moments. Luigi Bruins attempted to lay the ball back from the bye-line on a couple of occasions, TOP managed to get it away each time. Feyenoord’s slick passing was giving the visitors more food for thought though. Giovanni van Bronckhorst, Georginio Wijnaldum and Leroy Fer were all set up in front of De Vogt in a ten-minute spell, but the keeper was able to protect his clean sheet.

Bruins finally beat De Vogt in first-half injury time, but the ball hit the bar and the sides went in at the break at 0-0.

The effort was Bruins’s last touch of the night. Michael Mols replaced him at the start of the second half. The striker took his place in the front line, with Wijnaldum reverting to the right side of midfield.

Feyenoord found it just as difficult to make chances in the second half as they had before the break. The only shot in the opening quarter of an hour came from Makaay. De Vogt was up to the challenge again. A number of crosses followed, but neither Makaay nor Mols managed to get in the right position to convert them.

Mols was also unable to make the breakthrough in the final fifteen. First De Vogt foiled the veteran striker after a clever poke through by Makaay had put him in. Then, with five minutes to go, Dirk Schoofs just managed to get in the way of his shot. There was a third chance for Mols in injury time and it was the most clear-cut. Mols found himself with the time and space to shoot just a few metres out, but his effort went wide, condemning Feyenoord to extra time.

Makaay got the opening goal within a minute of the restart. Fer ran down the left, playing the ball in to Makaay on the edge of the box and when his hard shot hit the back of the net a wave of relief swept around the stadium.

TOP were forced to come out of their shell, creating more space for Feyenoord in the final third. Substitute Michal Janota took full advantage, sweeping in the second goal from a Wijnaldum pass. The Pole also grabbed the third of the night a couple of minutes before the end, getting the final touch to Wijnaldum’s shot.

Feyenoord – TOP Oss
91´ 1-0 Makaay
108´ 2-0 Janota
118´ 3-0 Janota

Referee: Van Hulten

Bookings: Bahia, Janota

Feyenoord: Timmer; Greene, Bahia, Hofland, De Cler; Bruins (46´ Mols), Fer, Van Bronckhorst, Biseswar (84´ Schet) (100´ Janota); Makaay and Wijnaldum.
TOP Oss: De Vogt; Van Engelen, Schoofs, Galata (100´ Jacobs), Van Hintum; Kazlauskas, Thijssen, Van der Ven (86´ Van Elsacker), Van de Sande (94´ De Groot); Fachtali and Zafarin.

Feyenoord Business CLub