Feyenoord warmed up for Thursday’s UEFA Cup tie against Kalmar FF with a comfortable win at De Kuip Saturday evening. The Rotterdammers netted five times without reply against Eredivisie newcomers FC Volendam in the first home game of the season. Jon Dahl Tomasson started the rout with a brace of first-half spot kicks, after Andwélé Slory was forced to retire with an injury. Diego Biseswar grabbed a couple of his own after the break, before Michael Mols knocked in the fifth in time added on.

It was certainly a great (second) De Kuip debut for Jon Dahl Tomasson. The Dane marked his first shift of the season with a double strike within a half-hour. Both came from the penalty spot.

The first – around quarter of an hour in – was awarded for hands by defender Mathieu Boots. Referee Bossen gave the second – symmetrically around the half hour – when Tim de Cler fell over Kelvin Maynard’s leg. Tomasson took both consummately – one to the left and one to the right – to ensure his side were in a comfortable position.

It was enough to see the hosts to the break, although there might have been more goals from Feyenoord in the first half. Giovanni van Bronckhorst and Georginio Wijnaldum both went mighty close with speculative drives and Kevin Hofland headed just too high from a corner, while Michael Mols and Tomasson both volleyed just wide. Mols had another chance to make it three just before the half-time whistle, but he was unable to connect with Wijnaldum’s wonderful cross.

Notwithstanding the lack of additional strikes Feyenoord went in at the break satisfied with the score. One concern was the loss of Andwélé Slory early in the contest. The youngster had only recently returned to action after a hamstring injury, but ten minutes in the problem resurfaced. Slory left the playing arena deeply disappointed despite the loud applause ringing in his ears.

Feyenoord were a little less energetic at the start of the second half. The hosts were not playing the ball around as well as in the opening period, which accounted for the lack of nailed-on opportunities. Down at the other end, Volendam were dangerous on the hour. Bernard Hofstede found the way clear to Henk Timmer’s goal, but the striker hit the ball straight at the keeper.

Feyenoord substitute Diego Biseswar ultimately eased his side further ahead. With a quarter of an hour left he turned away from defender Aaron Meijers on the right, moving towards the middle before rifling in a left-footed drive that flew into the far corner.

A good five minutes later Biseswar repeated the trick, though this time he did so on the other side of the pitch. A simple dummy engineered the striker the time and space to rattle in a long-distance shot that hit the top corner again. Feyenoord led 4-0.

That wasn’t the end of the scoring spree though. Biseswar was heavily involved again deep into injury time. Racing towards goal, the sub might have felt he was duty bound as a striker to try to get his hat trick, but he showed vision and team spirit by laying the ball off to Mols, who tapped in the fifth of the evening.

Feyenoord – FC Volendam 5-0
13’ 1-0 Tomasson (pen)
29’ 2-0 Tomasson (pen)
74’ 3-0 Biseswar
81’ 4-0 Biseswar
90’ 5-0 Mols

Referee: Bossen

Bookings: Maynard, Boots

Feyenoord: Timmer; Lucius, Bahia, Hofland, De Cler; Wijnaldum, Tomasson (85’ Janota), Van Bronckhorst, Fer (77’ Schet); Slory (10’ Biseswar) and Mols.
FC Volendam: Verhoeven, Maynard, Schilder, Boots, Meijers; Yildiz (65’ Valenta), Platje, De Lange; Hofstede, Tuijp and Van Dijk (65’ Van Zaanen).
Feyenoord Business CLub