Feyenoord suffered a second defeat in three days Sunday, going down 1-3 to Scottish champions Celtic. Gertjan Verbeek’s side played well in the second half, scoring through Leroy Fer, but by that time the Hoops were already three goals to the good. Vennegoor of Hesselink grabbed two, while Giorgos Samaras claimed the other Celtic goal. The 1-3 defeat leaves Feyenoord with the wooden spoon in the Centenary Tournament.

Just like on Friday, Feyenoord found themselves trailing in the early stages. Celtic did need a little longer than the ten minutes Borussia Dortmund required to get their noses in front, but they managed to net a second soon after, which really took the pressure off the Scottish side and left Feyenoord with a mountain to climb.

Both goals took advantage of some sloppy defending by the hosts. First Serginho Greene misjudged an incoming free kick from the right, letting the ball drop to Giorgos Samaras. The Greek swept the ball past Sherif Ekramy to put Celtic ahead.

The Egyptian found himself picking the ball out of his net again within four minutes. This time the ball came from the left. André Bahia missed the ball, leaving Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink to directly it past Ekramy with his head for the second of the evening.

Feyenoord were far and away the stronger side in the subsequent phase of the game. The Rotterdammers should perhaps have scored. Diego Biseswar went nearest, but the 19-year-old failed to connect right in front of goal past the 20-minute mark. The ball came to Denny Landzaat, whose effort was beaten out by Boric, and so to Leroy Fer, who blazed it into the stands.

Within a minute Fer was threatening the visitors’ goal again, this time with a long-distance shot that whizzed wide of the post.

In the end it was Celtic who extended their lead before the break. The situation was not unlike the first goal. This time it was Vennegoor of Hesselink who escaped from Danny Buijs, giving himself room to take down a high cross and finish in the far corner to make it 0-3.

It was clear that Feyenoord’s main task after the turnaround was to try to win back some pride. Gertjan Verbeek’s rose to the challenge straight from the kick-off, as they looked to get back into the game with an early goal of their own.

It came after an hour’s play. Denny Landzaat started the move with Fer, who played a great one-two with Michael Mols. It gave Fer the space he needed to rattle off a shot from beyond the penalty box, beating the keeper low to his left to make it 1-3.

Georginio Wijnaldum looked certain to bring Feyenoord within striking distance five minutes later. The youngster put himself clear with just the keeper to beat from a Giovanni van Bronckhorst through-ball, but Brown managed to save.

With 20 minutes left on the clock Wijnaldum again found himself up against the last man. This time the angle was tougher, so Brown was able to deny the home midfielder for a second time.

Save two speculative drives from Mols, Feyenoord’s best chance to halve the deficit came from substitute Kermit Erasmus five minutes before the end. The ball was played through by Wijnaldum and the diminutive striker passed his man, only to see his weak finish fisted away by the Scottish keeper.

Feyenoord – Celtic 1-3
12’ 0-1 Samaras
15’ 0-2 Vennegoor of Hesselink
38’ 0-3 Vennegoor of Hesselink
56’ 1-3 Fer

Referee: Braamhaar
Bookings: Caldwell

Feyenoord: Ekramy; Buijs (46’ Vlaar), Greene, Bahia, De Cler (66’ Nieveld); Landzaat, Van Bronckhorst, Bruins (46’ Wijnaldum), Fer (73’ Manteiga); Mols and Biseswar (76’ Erasmus).
Celtic: Boruc (46’ Brown); Wilson (46’ Hinkel), Naylor, Caldwell, O’Dea; McGeady, Hartley (66’ Balde), Brown, Donati; Samaras (58’ Mc Gowan) and Vennegoor of Hesselink (46’ McDonald).
Feyenoord Business CLub