Feyenoord went down by the odd goal in three in the second game of the Feyenoord Centenary tournament at De Kuip Friday night. Birthday boy Gertjan Verbeek saw his side make a good first impression against a German side whose season starts a few weeks earlier than the Rotterdammers’. In the end though two defensive lapses handed Dortmund the win. Kuba got the opener, only for Georginio Wijnaldum to equalise on the stroke of half time. Sebastian Hille won the game for the visitors ten minutes from time however.

It took a quarter of an hour for Feyenoord to threaten the Borrusia goal. Diego Biseswar, who formed a front two with Michael Mols, dribbled speedily in the direction of Weidenfeller’s goal, but was ultimately forced wide by the keeper and when it did come the effort went the wrong side of the post.

In the minutes prior to that chance Feyenoord went close to falling further behind. The first goal of the evening had come as early as the fifth minute. Kuba started the attack in midfield. The home defender did not do enough to defuse the danger and the winger eventually got the ball back on the right side of the penalty area. He ripped off an unstoppable drive to give his side the lead.

Feyenoord started to generate some excitement themselves at the end of the half. Giovanni van Bronckhorst tested his range with a distance drive, but it was not until the last minute that the equaliser fell. Georginio Wijnaldum was fed by Tim de Cler, rattling off a beautiful drive from twenty metres that sailed into the bottom corner to bring the sides level.

In the closing moments of the half it was Feyenoord that had the best chances to grab the lead, but Luigi Bruins and Biseswar both lacked precision. Bruins was actually played in by Biseswar close to goal, but couldn’t quite get his foot round the ball. In the same minute Biseswar himself hit the bar, as he attempted to beat the keeper with a sweet chip.

The second half was a more balanced affair. After a first 45 of end-to-end stuff, the two sides were more controlled after the break. There were certainly fewer sniffs at goal and the keepers looked to have things under control. That was the case on 50 minutes, when Kringe was unable to thread the ball through to his strikers due to Henk Timmer’s efforts.

Although Gertjan Verbeek had said before the game that the match against Borussia Dortmund had come a little too early for Feyenoord, it was the hosts that looked most likely to take the victory.

The Rotterdammers drove up the pressure as the half drew on, but were unable to sculpt any clear-cut opportunities. Georginio Wijnaldum drove into the keeper’s hands from ten metres, while Michael Mols attempted one from distance, but failed to get it near the goal.

Ultimately it was the Germans that came away with the win, with a goal ten minutes from time. Substitute Sebastian Hille stormed into the box as Dortmund countered and beat Timmer with a well-placed shot to make it 2-1.

Just ahead of time Denny Landzaat had a great chance to level it. The midfielder whipped the ball in from the edge of the box after some fine preparatory play by Biseswar, but it scraped the top of the bar. In the same minute Landzaat made way for Michal Janota, who had a shot himself at the death, but the Pole’s attempt went wide.

Feyenoord – Borussia Dortmund 1-2
5’ 0-1 Kuba
41’ 1-1 Wijnaldum
78’ 1-2 Hille

Referee: Vink

Feyenoord: Timmer; Buijs, Greene, Bahia, De Cler (56’ Fer); Wijnaldum, Landzaat (87’ Janota), Van Bronckhorst, Bruins (46’ Hofs); Mols (71’ Erasmus) and Biseswar.
Borussia Dortmund: Weidenfeller; Owomoyela (46’ Hille), Kovac, Hummels, Dede; Kuba, Hajnal (61’ Kruska), Kehl, Kringe (77’ Sahin); Sadrijaj (69’ Federico) and Petric (46’ Valdez).
Feyenoord Business CLub