Feyenoord had a bad day at the office Sunday, going down 3-1 to playoff rivals NAC Breda. Feyenoord got the opening goal of the game early on through Leroy Fer, but the hosts battled back to take the initiative before the break with strikes by Kurt Elshot and Rogier Molhoek. Matthew Amoah rubberstamped the victory in the second period, before seeing his penalty saved by Henk Timmer at the death.

Bert van Marwijk’s side got off to a great start with an early goal for the second week running. Michael Mols played a key role, controlling a hit-and-miss ball from Theo Lucius before playing in Fer. The youngster slotted home in the far corner.

To another extent things panned out the same way as the Sparta game. For the second game in succession Feyenoord were unable to hang onto to their lead. There seemed to be little danger initially. NAC had a lot of the ball, but were unable to truly threaten the visitors’ goal.

The first serious opportunity to come the home side’s way arrived well after the half-hour mark. Elshot rattled a shot into a packed penalty box. Timmer looked likely to get behind the effort until it hit Kevin Hofland’s leg and ricocheted in for the leveller.

Feyenoord had a fine opportunity to edge ahead again before the break through De Guzman. Ten Rouwelaar defused the situation. Otherwise, missing their top scorer Makaay, the Rotterdammers were not especially potent up front. The same was true of the home outfit for that matter, although NAC did manage to get their noses in front.

It came at the end of a period of acute pressure from the home side. Timmer saved the initial shot, which took a defection, but was unable to keep out the second attempt. Kevin Hofland backed up his keeper by heading Ahmed Ammi’s shot off the line. The danger had not been abated however and when the ball came back in from Joonas Kolkka, Rogier Molhoek got to it first, powering in an unstoppable header from close range. NAC led 2-1

After the break the game switched from one end to the other, although the chances were far and few between. Feyenoord threatened on the odd occasion, but the NAC defence were typically alert to the danger. The effort did take a lot out of the hosts however and Feyenoord gradually got a grip on the game.

But just when the visitors looked capable of levelling things up, NAC posed some problems of their own. When Timmer attempted to clear his lines, the ball did not go far enough down the field. Tim de Cler was forced to bring down Amoah and should perhaps have been presented with a red card, but referee Braamhaar felt that yellow was adequate.

The defender had paid cheaply for preventing the hosts from extending their lead, but Feyenoord were unable to exploit the official’s generosity. Within a minute, Amoah was given the time to rifle in a shot from Ammi’s cross, beating Timmer and putting his side 3-1 to the good.

Mols went close to getting a goal back in the last few minutes, but his attempt went wide. Amoah almost got one at the other end, but his effort also went wide of the post by a couple of centimetres. He would get a second bite of the cherry when Van Bronckhorst brought him down in the box in the final seconds. Timmer got down well to save his weakly struck penalty kick however.

NAC Breda – Feyenoord 3-1
10’ 0-1 Fer
32’ 1-1 Elshot
40’ 2-1 Molhoek
72’ 3-1 Amoah

Bookings: De Cler, Feher
Referee: Braamhaar

NAC Breda: Ten Rouwelaar; Elshot, Penders, Zwaanswijk, Mtiliga; Stam, De Graaf (60’ Feher), Molhoek; Ammi, Idabdelhay (60’ Amoah), Kolkka (75’ Gilissen).
Feyenoord: Timmer; Lucius, Bahia, Hofland, De Cler; Landzaat (72’ Hofs), Van Bronckhorst, Fer (76’ Buijs); De Guzman (77’ Slory), Mols, Bruins.
Feyenoord Business CLub