Feyenoord followed up the win at De Graafschap last week with victory at home to Vitesse Sunday. A single goal was enough to secure the three points for the Rotterdammers. It came from the boot of Jonathan de Guzman in first half time added on. The match was otherwise a fairly tame affair, although a Henk Timmer wonder save was needed to protect the points late in the game.

Feyenoord have made quite a habit of getting goals in the last five minutes or so of the first half this season, but they left it mighty late this time round. The half was deep into injury time when Jonathan de Guzman danced into a central position from the flank before planting a sweet drive into the top corner to give his side the edge.

The game has been fairly dour until that opener. Feyenoord had more ball possession and perhaps shaded it on the chances front, but neither side could have had any complaints if they had gone in level at the break.

Feyenoord did start well though. The Rotterdammers have had problems in recent weeks getting the engine running, so it was refreshing to see Bert van Marwijk’s side pushing on from the kick off.

The result was a reasonably good chance for Luigi Bruins within seven minutes. The ball came from De Guzman. Bruins’ was unable to finish however, putting the ball over. Five minutes later Denny Landzaat played a deep ball through to Roy Makaay, but the striker found it difficult to control.

After the early promise, the game took a turn for the worse, as Feyenoord found it hard to penetrate the visitors’ defence.

The same went for Vitesse, who waited almost until half time before creating their first opportunity. Otherwise, the only moment of note came from Theo Janssen, who drove a free kick past the post.

As the first half moved into time added on though Harrie Gommans raced onto a long ball, getting his foot onto it between two defenders and keeper Henk Timmer, but the ball rolled the wrong side of the post from his point of view.

Jonathan de Guzman had more success a minute later. The midfielder celebrated receiving his first Dutch passport with a goal, moving in from the right wing before placing the ball beyond the reach of keeper Velthuizen. It was the last meaningful kick of the half.

The second half followed a similar pattern to its predecessor. Both sides were passing well, but neither was really able to build up a head of steam.

Vitesse were putting more pressure on the opposition goal. Substitute Anduele Pryor forced a great save out of Timmer with a white-hot drive, while Juan Lorca should have headed his side level early in the second half but only found the side netting.

Feyenoord had their finger on the pulse defensively, but up front the errors came thick and fast. When they did get their passing together though the hosts were a threat. Like when Nicky Hofs was able to rattle off a shot with 20 minutes left. Unfortunately the midfielder was not up to getting his effort on target.

At the other end, Vitesse went very close to grabbing an equaliser with two minutes remaining. Sant Kolk’s effort was acrobatically saved by Timmer, who effectively protected Feyenoord’s lead. The ensuing corner saw Timmer’s opposite number join him in the Feyenoord penalty area as Vitesse looked to level, but the visitors’ were unable to make the extra man count.

The game was deep into injury time when Vitesse had a man sent off. Last man Paul Verhaegh brought down Andwele Slory and had to go. Giovanni van Bronckhorst tried his luck from the free kick, but Velthuizengot down well to push it round the post.

Feyenoord – Vitesse 1-0
45’ De Guzman 1-0

Referee: Wiedemeijer
Bookings: Fer, Greene, Slory, Takak, Janssen, Sansoni, Van der Schaaf
Sending off: Verhaegh

Feyenoord: Timmer; Fer, Greene, Hofland, De Cler; Landzaat, Hofs (77’ Mols), Van Bronckhorst; De Guzman (90’ Buijs), Makaay, Bruins (64’ Slory)
Vitesse: Velthuizen; Verhaegh, Sprockel, Sansoni (85’ Dominges de Souza), Swerts; Takak (71’ Kaya), Van der Schaaf, Kolk, Janssen; Gommans (73’ Pryor), Lorca

Feyenoord Business CLub