Feyenoord claimed three Eredivisie points at De Kuip Sunday with two second-half goals against a brave De Graafschap side. Bert van Marwijk’s side went in front through Jonathan de Guzman, while Roy Makaay converted a penalty to wrap up the points. There might have been more goals for the hosts, but the post (twice), bar (once) and good keeping thwarted them. Kevin Hofland missed a second successive game with stomach flu.

The opener seemed to have come as early as the seventh minute. Makaay found himself in space with just Jimmy van Fessem to beat. It looked for all the world as if the striker would add to his three goals from Thursday, but Makaay fell at the final hurdle.

The move was the best chance of the half for either side, although there were attempts on goal at both ends. Jonathan de Guzman tried his luck twice with shots from distance. Van Fessem was also forced into a save from an André Bahia header. But Feyenoord were looking less than sharp in the final third, which produced whistles from the crowd at the break.

The reaction from the stands was also stimulated by De Graafschap, who looked threatening themselves. Rogier Meijer was near to breaking the deadlock with a long-range effort. Timmer pushed the shot out for a corner. Lasse Schöne went even closer on 34 minutes, but his volley lacked direction and the danger passed.

Feyenoord started strongly in the second half. The arrival of Chun-Soo Lee in the team got things going on the pitch. And in the stands too, where the supporters chanted the South Korean’s name every time he touched the ball.

De Guzman was close to edging Feyenoord ahead early in the half. His free kick was deflected by Van Fessem onto the bar and came back into play. De Guzman was more fortunate the next time. After an attack that was dripping with footballing nous, the Canadian ultimately pulled the trigger. He headed De Cler’s cross out of the reach of Van Fessem for the opening goal.

De Cler had a big hand in the second goal of the afternoon too. Meijer pulled the left back down in the penalty area. Referee Braamhaar initially awarded the hosts a free kick, but revised his decision, pointing to the spot, from whence Makaay converted.

Feyenoord were clearly in the ascendancy and almost grabbed a third goal in eight minutes. Luigi Bruins cleared a path through the De Graafschap defence and even managed to rattle off a shot. A combination of Van Fessem and the post denied the youngster however.

The luck was against Feyenoord in the 64th minute too. This time it was Greene who shot. The ball looked to be going in, but Van Fessem got his hand to it to push it onto the post

De Graafschap had nothing left in the tank, while the Rotterdam hunger also appeared to have been satiated, which explained the lack of further chances. Makaay did pose a threat, as did Lee in the final moments. Timmer distinguished himself just before the end when he plucked Léon Hese’s shot from the air with a fine acrobatic save.

Feyenoord – De Graafschap 2-0

53’ 1-0 De Guzman
57’ 2-0 Makaay (pen)

Bookings: -


Feyenoord: Timmer; Lucius, Greene, Bahia, De Cler; Sahin (77’ Wijnaldum), Van Bronckhorst, De Guzman; D. Buijs (46’ Lee), Makaay (83’ Mols), Bruins
De Graafschap: Van Fessem; Schuurman, Keller, Fung A Wing, Fränkel; Hese, Meijer (83’ Johnson), Vidarsson (46’ Van den Ouweland), Schöne; De Groot (68’ Tarvajarvi), Powel
Feyenoord Business CLub