Feyenoord swept aside the challenge of FC Groningen to book a place in the last sixteen of the KNVB Beker at De Kuip Thursday. Hero of the night was Roy Makaay, who claimed a first-half hat-trick to all but wrap up the game before the turnaround. Feyenoord eventually ran out 3-1 victors after Serginho Greene put through his own net on the hour. It was a disappointing piece of misfortune for Greene, who returned to the starting line-up for Kevin Hofland. The defender was forced out with flu.

Groningen were unlucky enough to meet Makaay at the sharpest he’s been since his return to the Eredivisie. The Feyenoord fans have certainly not seen a lacklustre Makaay this term, but he took it to the next level against the northerners. The striker had three shots on target in the first half and he netted with all three attempts.

Makaay got off the mark as early as the second minute, just after Bruins had driven a shot across the goal. He was played in with just the keeper to beat by Jonathan de Guzman’s through ball and he was not about to turn his nose up at the chance to open the scoring, slipping it past Van Loo to edge Feyenoord ahead.

Makaay grabbed his second of the night after 27 minutes. Erik Nevland fouled Greene in the area and the referee had no hesitation pointing to the spot. Makaay stepped up to stroke the ball into the net and Feyenoord into a 2-0 lead.

Like all good strikers Makaay wasn’t satisfied with a brace and on 39 minutes he put his side out of sight with his third. He will have been grateful to the visitors’ goalie though, who gave away possession when the number nine put him under pressure. The ball fell to Bruins, who played the ball to Makaay and he netted with a diagonal drive to make it 3-0.

Van Loo paid for his first-half foibles by being substituted at the break. His replacement Luciano da Silva didn’t appear able to inspire more confidence in the Groningen defence however. The half was just a few minutes old when the new keeper let a back pass slip under his foot and he had to race back to stop the ball from ending up in the net.

Feyenoord had everything under control but a momentary lapse in concentration enabled Groningen to get a goal back. Erik Nevland powered in a shot that deflected off Greene, taking the ball’s trajectory out of Timmer’s reach and into the goal.

It was little more than a consolidation goal for the visitors however. The home side were happy enough to play the game out in the knowledge that a place in the last sixteen was secure. Substitute Chun-Soo Lee was the only player who threatened to give the fans something to cheer about, but save a few nice touches the South Korean was unproductive.

Feyenoord – FC Groningen 3-1
2’ 1-0 Makaay
28’ 2-0 Makaay (pen)
39’ 3-0 Makaay
61’ 3-1 Greene (og)

Bookings: Buijs, Van Bronckhorst, Nevland, Kruiswijk

Referee: Van Sichem

Feyenoord: Timmer; Lucius, Greene, Bahia, De Cler; Sahin (72’ Wijnaldum), De Guzman, Van Bronckhorst; Buijs (90’ Mols), Makaay, Bruins (76’ Lee)
FC Groningen: Van Loo (46’ Da Silva); Hiariej, Svejdik, Kruiswijk, Stenman; Meerdink (46’ Matavz), Lindgren, Lovre, Levchenko (60’ Metaj); Nevland, Berg
Feyenoord Business CLub