Feyenoord suffered their first defeat of the season at PSV Sunday as the champions steamrollered over Bert van Marwijk’s men in a devastating eight-minute spell at the end of the first half. The hosts’ goals came from Kenneth Perez (2) and Edison Méndez before the break, with Danny Koevermans adding a fourth at the death. Feyenoord did have the ball in the net when only two down, but Roy Makaay’s effort was wrongly ruled out for handball, in a game that saw the return to action of Serginho Greene for the last few minutes after six months on the sidelines through injury.

Feyenoord had managed to conceded just one goal in the first four matches of the season and the defence was felt to be a solid unit, but eight crazy minutes in Eindhoven flushed any such illusions down the drain. Three goals for the home side between the 35th and 43rd minute mark left Bert van Marwijk with a mountain to climb at half time to get Feyenoord back on course to mount a serious challenge in the second half.

Perez, the striker who almost secured a move to De Kuip in the summer, had the leading role in proceedings. There were ten minutes to half time when André Bahia missed Culina’s cross. Kevin Hofland was too late to stop Perez from slapping the ball in the far corner to give his side the lead.

Perez’s second was even more of a picture. The Dane latched onto the second ball from a corner, beat De Guzman with a shake of his hips and rattled in a drive from outside the penalty area that Henk Timmer could only watch as it went in off the post.

That put the hosts 3-0 ahead, because it came minutes after their second, which was finished off by Méndez. Lazovic got half a touch to Culina’s cross, unintentionally playing the ball right to the feet of Méndez, who slotted it past Timmer.

Feyenoord went close themselves on 37 minutes through De Guzman, who forced a fine save out of Gomes and it looked like the Rotterdammers would go in at the break within striking distance when Makaay got the ball into the net soon after. Some sloppy defending by Mike Zonneveld left Hofs in possession. The midfielder played the ball straight to Makaay, who scored, only for referee Braamhaar to rule the strike out for handball. Video evidence showed the man in the middle was completely wrong.

De Guzman almost pulled a goal back after the break, only to see Gomes get a hand to his brilliantly executed free kick to push it onto the post and out. Lazovic hit the post at the other end too. The Serb rounded Timmer but was unable to keep his effort on target.

Perez also threatened on the hour when he lifted a free kick onto the top of the net. It was one of the rare chances after the break. Feyenoord endeavoured to get back into it but save a header from Bahia late on the visitors were scarcely dangerous. PSV on the other hand did not feel the need to push forward, although the title-holders did manage to grab their fourth goal of the afternoon with two minutes left on the clock. Koevermans found himself with time and space in front of Timmer and did not waste the gift.

PSV – Feyenoord 4-0
35’ 1-0 Perez
39’ 2-0 Méndez
43’ 3-0 Perez
88’ 4-0 Koevermans

Bookings: De Cler, Lucius, Van Bronckhorst, Culina, Méndez
Referee: Braamhaar

Feyenoord: Timmer; Lucius, Hofland (88’ Greene), Bahia, De Cler; Sahin, Hofs (73’ Mols), Van Bronckhorst; De Guzman, Makaay, Bruins (62’ D. Buijs)
PSV: Gomes: Kromkamp, Salcido, Addo, Zonneveld; Simons, Culina, Méndez; Farfan (61’ Aissati), Lazovic (68’ Koevermans), Perez (79’ Van der Leegte)
Feyenoord Business CLub