Feyenoord made it three wins out of three Saturday evening with a fairly comfortable 2-0 win against Willem II at De Kuip. Bert van Marwijk’s side scored twice before the break through Luigi Bruins and Roy Makaay to secure the points. The visitors did have an opportunity to make a game of it in the second half, but Said Boutahar saw his penalty saved by Henk Timmer, who is yet to be beaten this campaign. The game also saw Michael Mols come off the bench to make his debut for the Rotterdammers.

Feyenoord were astonishingly efficient in the first 45 minutes against a side still searching for its first win of the season. Roy Makaay missed the first chance of the game when he headed a De Guzman cross wide, but the home side converted both of its subsequent first half chances.

Two out of three ain’t bad of course, but if there is a concern it is that Feyenoord failed to create more than a trio of opportunities in front of goal. That said, the home side where in full control of the game in the first half, as Willem II focused their efforts on simply trying to shut the game down and limit the damage.

The evening’s first goal was a delight to behold. Nuri Sahin played a sumptuous long sideways pass out to Bruins, who needed do little else but change the ball’s direction. The youngster did just that, sending a shot across Vermeer and into the corner of the net for the opener.

Feyenoord took a huge stride towards wrapping up the points three minutes before half time and it was again a highly functional attack that delivered the goods. Giovanni van Bronckhorst played the ball deep from his own half for Makaay to chase. The striker played in Hofs, who popped up between two defenders so unexpectedly that the ball sailed past keeper Kenneth Vermeer despite Hofs not actually getting a touch. Makaay was more than happy to claim his third Eredivisie goal of the season.

Danny Mathijssen was the first to try his luck with a shot in the second half, making it clear that Willem II had not thrown in the towel. The visitors’ gusto won them a penalty on 57 minutes, when Theo Lucius brought down Said Boutahar in the box, earning a yellow card in the process.

Boutahar put the ball on the spot himself as the whistles blew out from all corners of the ground. Whether it helped or not is open to debate, but it certainly didn’t harm Feyenoord’s cause, as the Willem II midfielder failed to steer his effort out of the reaches of Timmer, who punched the penalty kick to safety.

Timmer was forced into action again as the Tilburg outfit looked to get back into the game through shots by Rydell Poepon and Mathijssen, but the home goalie was committed to keeping his third clean sheet of the season. Vermeer was untroubled at the other end, as Feyenoord engaged the cruise control. The only threat came from Hofs, who blazed over when he might have done better.

Feyenoord – Willem II 2-0
25’ 1-0 Bruins
42’ 2-0 Makaay

Remarks: Timmer penalty save (58’)

Bookings: Lucius, Nieuwendaal
Referee: Nijhuis

Feyenoord: Timmer; Lucius, Vlaar, Hofland, De Cler; Sahin (62’ D. Buijs), Hofs (86’ Mols), Van Bronckhorst; De Guzman, Makaay, Bruins
Willem II: Vermeer; Janse (60’ Messoudi), Baelum, Van der Struijk, Swinkels; Nieuwendaal, Mathijssen (81’ Wilmet), Kargbo, Boutahar; Bobson, Poepon (88’ Vorthoren)
Feyenoord Business CLub