Feyenoord beat Schijndel five without reply Saturday in the preseason’s final scheduled match. The Rotterdammers were focused for the full ninety minutes against the amateur side, but were unable to carve out many chances, and had to do with five well-deserved goals by Roy Makaay Luigi Bruins, Nicky Hofs, André Bahia and home defender Frank Kuppens, who put through his own goal.

The unavailability of wingers Andwelé Slory, Tim Vincken (both injured) and Royston Drenthe (in Madrid) forced Bert van Marwijk to start with a 4-4-2 formation, with Nicky Hofs up front alongside Roy Makaay. Giovanni van Bronckhorst was also missing due to injury, so Kevin Hofland took the captaincy.

The Rotterdammers began with the wind in their sails, playing a fast passing game that looked good until it reached the final third, when more often than not there was no finish. Schijndel decided to shut up shop from the off, which left Feyenoord huffing and puffing without threatening to blow any houses down.

It was perhaps no surprise then that Feyenoord eventually took the lead from a counterattack. Theo Lucius captured possession in his own penalty box and decided to stretch his legs, making for the halfway line where he played a deep ball into Jonathan de Guzman on the right. The Canadian in turn knocked the ball into Makaay who gave it a welly, beating the home keeper and finding the back of the net.

The second goal was maybe even more unexpected. The game was a half hour old when Lucius again got the ball rolling with a deep ball, this time towards Makaay. Schijndel defender Kuppens beat the Feyenoord striker to the ball, but ended up doing Das Phantom’s work for him, heading past his own keeper to put the visitors two up.

In the intervening quarter of an hour the Rotterdammers had scarcely been able to threaten. Strikers Makaay and Hofs were not being given the service they needed, which restricted Feyenoord to speculative efforts from De Guzman and Nuri Sahin. The Turk went close again right on half time, when he engineered a chance out of nothing, getting into a one-on-one with the keeper only to finish with a weak chip.

By that time Feyenoord had extended their lead to three without reply through Luigi Bruins. The midfielder played down the right in the second half, but before the break he attacked from the left, beating his opponent easily on 40 minutes and rattling in a drive that whisked into the far corner.

The introduction of Michael Mols after the tea and oranges changed the shape of the game somewhat, and Feyenoord threatened the hosts’ penalty area more often, although it took the best part of fifteen minutes for Bert van Marwijk’s side to breach the Schijndel defence. The ball was played into Hofs on the edge of the box and the diminutive forward turned his man adroitly before whipping in a low shot that caught the keeper unawares to make it 4-0.

That was one of the few high points for Feyenoord in the second 45 however. The visitors drew down the pace of the game, which gave Schijndel the opportunity to get their foot in more often. The Rotterdammers did manage to grab a fifth goal a few minutes before the end though, when substitute André Bahia nodded in a De Guzman cross.

Schijndel – Feyenoord 0-5
15’ 0-1 Makaay
30’ 0-2 Kuppens (og)
40’ 0-3 Bruins
59’ 0-4 Hofs
87’ 0-5 Bahia

Bookings: -

Referee: Nooijen

Feyenoord: Timmer (46’ Ekramy); Lucius, Vlaar (73’ J. Buijs), Hofland (55’ Bahia), De Cler (73’ Lensky); De Guzman, D. Buijs, Sahin (62’ Wijnaldum), Bruins; Hofs (73’ Biseswar), Makaay (46’ Mols)
Feyenoord Business CLub