Feyenoord’s winless run at The Hague’s Zuiderpark stadium continued Sunday, as bottom club ADO Den Haag forced a draw in a high-scoring Eredivisie encounter. Angelos Charisteas grabbed two of Feyenoord’s goals, following Joonas Kolkka’s opener, but a strike from Laurent Delorge and a brace from Rick Hoogendorp helped the hosts to a 3-3 draw. ADO were required to play the last few minutes with ten men after Mark de Vries was dismissed.

The visiting fans felt the need to rouse Feyenoord from their sleep after a lacklustre start, as the hosts racked up three goal attempts in the first seven minutes, with little resistance from the Rotterdam defence. The match was just 20 seconds old when Santi Kolk shot wide. A minute later Hoogendorp aimed just too high and Laurent Delorge was the third to try his luck, shooting wide again.

Jonathan de Guzman set up the next home chance, giving the ball away as ADO Den Haag swept forward only for Delorge to put his effort into the side netting with only Timmer to beat. That chance came on 13 minutes and it would be another three minutes before Feyenoord managed to create an opportunity of their own. Charisteas headed past the post despite finding himself in space.

The effort signalled a revival in Feyenoord’s fortunes though, as the Maassiders began to take control of the game. It resulted in the opening goal on 19, when De Guzman tested keeper Sergio Sánchez with a stinging drive. The Spaniard was only able to parry and the ball fell to the feet of Kolkka, who netted against his former club.

Feyenoord should have doubled their lead on 34 when De Guzman found himself with just Sánchez to beat, but the Canadian opted to lay the ball off to Charisteas rather than shooting himself. The pass was a poor one though and the chance was lost.

ADO appeared to be down and out, but that proved to be an incorrect diagnosis as the home side got back on terms four minutes before the break. Hoogendorp got his head to a Konstantinos Loumpoutis corner to rattle in the equaliser.

The score was not a fair reflection of the state of play, but Feyenoord did not allow the blow to knock them off balance. The visitors took the game to their hosts at the start of the second half in an attempt to regain the lead they so richly deserved. The goal came ten minutes in, when Theo broke forward on the left, playing the ball into Charisteas, who beat two defenders before shooting across keeper Sánchez and into the net.

Yet the Rotterdammers were unable to hold onto their lead, although the afternoon’s second equaliser had more than a touch of fortune about it. A cross from Michael Mols made contact with André Bahia’s hand and referee Luinge pointed to the spot. Hoogendorp stepped up to the mark to convert.

It was a hammer blow for Feyenoord in general and Bahia in particular. Four minutes after the spot kick the Brazilian was beaten by Delorge, who pulled the trigger in full flight, beating Timmer with an unstoppable drive that handed the home side the lead for the first time in the match.

Feyenoord showed they would not lie down and die however and things were all square again on 73, when Greene knocked a ball in to Charisteas, who rifled in his second of the afternoon to make it 3-3.

With six goals on the scoreboard and the clock running down Feyenoord went in search of the killer blow. There were five minutes to go when Charisteas powered in a shot, but Sánchez denied the Greek his third. Not long after De Vries saw red after snapping at Ron Vlaar’s ankles, but there was scarcely time to press home a winner on the back of the numerical advantage.

ADO Den Haag – Feyenoord 3-3.
19’ 0-1 Kolkka
41’ 1-1 Hoogendorp
55’ 1-2 Charisteas
62’ 2-2 Hoogendorp (pen)
66’ 2-3 Delorge
73’ 3-3 Charisteas

Bookings: Vincken, Kolk, Elia
Sending-off: De Vries (87’)
Referee: Luinge

ADO Den Haag: Sánchez; Bakkati, Saavedra, Bodde, Lompoutis; Delorge, Schwiebbe, Bosschaart; Kolk, Mols (77’ De Vries), Hoogendorp (77’ Elia)
Feyenoord: Timmer; Greene, Vlaar, Bahia (73’ Van Hooijdonk), Drenthe; Buijs, Lucius, De Guzman (67’ Derijck); Castelen (71’ Vincken), Charisteas, Kolkka
Feyenoord Business CLub