Feyenoord suffered a convincing defeat at FC Twente Sunday at the Arke stadium going down 3-0. The loss extends the gap between the sides in the Eredivisie to eight points in FC Twente’s favour. Jeroen Heubach gave the home side a first-half lead, before Kennedy Bakircioglu secured the points with two strikes after the break. Theo Lucius picked up his fifth booking of the season and will now miss the FC Utrecht, while Jacob Lensky came off the bench to make his debut in a team that included Sherif Ekramy in goal in place of the injured Henk Timmer.

Feyenoord were put under pressure from the first whistle, but it was Erwin Koeman’s side who crafted the first real opportunity of the match. Royston Drenthe’s free kick skidded off the wet surface and landed at the feet of Timothy Derijck. The Belgian appeared to be surprised with all the space he had though, snatching at his shot and hitting the only obstacle between Feyenoord and the lead – home keeper Sander Boschker.

The match took a bit of a dive after that. Feyenoord allowed FC Twente to controlled the game and coach Fred Rutten’s side found it hard to make a fist of it, although Ismail Aissati did smash an effort off the bar. The home outfit managed to get their noses in front just after the midpoint in the first half however. Heubach caught Ekramy unawares with a shot in the near corner that the Feyenoord keeper was not prepared for to give FC Twente the lead.

If the goal injected anything it was a suppressant as the match lapsed into dreariness. The only light point was the performance of Tim Vincken, who was giving goalscorer Heubach a torrid time with his speed on the right. As a result Vincken was putting in a lot of crosses, but none of them generated a chance for his team. That looked like changing on 37 minutes when Vincken found Lucius in space, but when the captain was brought down as he prepared to let rip referee Wiedemeijer waved play on.

The disappointing Jonathan de Guzman remained in the dressing room when the sides returned for the second half, as Lensky was brought into the eleven. Huysegems was another one not to re-emerge after the break. Castelen took the Belgian’s place, as Feyenoord looked to inject more pace on the wings.

The visitors pushed forward immediately, but the second goal of the afternoon almost came at the other end on 53 minutes. Bakircioglu beat Drenthe, but with only Ekramy between him and the goal, the home striker put his effort wide.

The Swede made up for his miss five minutes later though, when he got his head to Heubach’s cross to put daylight between the two sides.

Ekramy denied Edson Braafheid not long after as the hosts looked to wrap the game up with a third. The right back found himself in space in front of the Feyenoord keeper, but the Egyptian displayed a great deal more concentration than his defence, holding onto the shot when it came. Sharbel Touma was the next one to try his luck as FC Twente continued to create the chances. His shot was a fine one and it beat Ekramy totally, but the bar was there to save the Rotterdammers again.

A third goal seemed inevitable but the home side were having difficulty finding the final touch. Derijck cleared off the line when Touma shot, but the goal did eventually come in the final minutes and it was the Swede Bakircioglu who claimed it, although his shot took a deflection off Vlaar to leave Ekramy chanceless.

FC Twente – Feyenoord 3-0
25’ 1-0 Heubach
58’ 2-0 Bakircioglu
88’ 3-0 Bakircioglu

Bookings: Derijck, Lucius, El Ahmadi
Referee: Wiedemeijer

FC Twente: Boschker; Wellenberg (19’ Braafheid), Wielaert, Zomer, Heubach; El Ahmadi, Aissati (64’ Bakkal), Engelaar (81’ Brama); Bakircioglu, N’Kufo, Touma
Feyenoord: Ekramy, Derijck, Vlaar, Schreuder (76’ Van Hooijdonk), Drenthe; Lucius, Buijs, De Guzman (46 Lensky); Vincken, Charisteas, Huysegems (46’ Castelen)

Feyenoord Business CLub