Feyenoord saw off the threat of ADO Den Haag Sunday, with a triple second-half salvo to take all three points at De Kuip. After a mediocre first 45, the Rotterdammers took control with two goals in four minutes through Nicky Hofs and Jonathan de Guzman, before Angelos Charisteas converted a penalty in the last ten minutes – the Greek’s first home goal at De Kuip. Santi Kolk managed to grab a consolation for the visitors in the final seconds in a game that saw Ron Vlaar come of the bench at the break to play the whole of the second half.

The first half was dominated almost exclusively by Feyenoord, but it was their relegation-threatened visitors who went closest to drawing first blood in the opening 45. ADO had three chances from distance, all of which caused problems for the home side. On 16 a Kolk shot from around 20 metres out had Timmer beaten, but the bar was just low enough to save the day. Ferrie Bodde and Richard Knopper then had pops themselves, but Timmer was able to keep both free kicks out.

Koeman will have been a little concerned that his side were close to going in at the break a goal down despite running the show. Feyenoord created little of note, which is worrying just a few days before the win or bust Uefa Cup match against Wisla Krakow. That said, there was a threat or two. Charisteas shot into the hands of Robert Zwinkels and Danny Buijs found himself with just the keeper to beat on no fewer than two occasions, only to be frustrated by an imprecise final pass, which gave Zwinkels the time to close him down.

It was almost half time before the visiting number one was put under any real pressure. Stein Huysegems played in André Bahia, who controlled the ball before lashing in a shot that Zwinkels did well to put out for a corner.

That was the last contribution from Bahia, who remained in the dressing room when the team re-emerged after the break. The Brazilian was replaced by Ron Vlaar, who thus completed his comeback after a long period on the sidelines.

Things immediately went better for the home side with the Dutchman in defence and Feyenoord took command of the game in a four-minute spell. The game was 54 minutes old when Hofs pumped in a shot cum cross that sailed towards the far corner. Knopper tried to clear with his head but the ball was already over the ball and Feyenoord had the lead.

There was little chance for ADO to regroup before the second goal went in. De Guzman fed Kolkka and the Finn sent in a fine cross that the Canadian raced onto the end of to power in a header for number two.

The visitors’ will was broken and Feyenoord were happy to take their foot off the pedal and freewheel to the finish. The hosts were still able to extend their lead even without that extra energy however, chiefly thanks to the hard work of Tim Vincken. The outside right had a shot that Zwinkels saved with his legs with a quarter of an hour left, but Vincken was back in the danger zone almost immediately, this time leaving Tininho no option but to foul him. Charisteas demanded the ball and slotted the spot kick into the net for his first goal for the club at De Kuip. The Greek left the field not long after to sustained applause, when Pierre van Hooijdonk replaced him.

ADO pulled a goal back at the death when Kolk’s shot took a deflection off Serginho Greene’s leg, but it was not enough damped home spirits as Feyenoord moved without four points of second-placed AZ and three of third-placed Ajax with a seventh win in eight Eredivisie matches.

Feyenoord – ADO Den Haag 3-1
54’ 1-0 Hofs
57’ 2-0 De Guzman
84’ 3-0 Charisteas (pen)
89’ 3-1 Kolk

Bookings: Bahia, Bosschaart
Referee: Blom

Feyenoord: Timmer; Greene, Lucius, Bahia (46’ Vlaar), Drenthe; Buijs, Hofs, De Guzman; Kolkka, Charisteas (87’ Van Hooijdonk), Huysegems (76’ Vincken)
ADO Den Haag: Zwinkels; Vreven, Saavedra, Bunjevcevic, Tininho; Knopper (79’ Verhoek), Bodde, Delorge, Bosschaart; Mols (79’ De Vries), Kolk
Feyenoord Business CLub