Feyenoord made it twelve points out of twelve in the Eredivisie with a goal-happy 5-2 win at Willem II Sunday. Erwin Koeman’s side took a two-goal lead through Huysegems and Buijs in the first half and Joonas Kolkka grabbed a brace – his first for the club – in the second, although they were sandwiched between two home strikes by Thomas Bælum and Iwan Redan. Buijs added another before referee Van Hulten red-carded Dwight Tiendalli for handball when the ball actually hit the post. Mathieu Assou-Ekotto converted the penalty but ten-man Feyenoord held on.

The fixture list looked to have given Feyenoord a great opportunity to wash away the disappointment of Wednesday’s cup defeat. Erwin Koeman’s side were delighted to take advantage of some poor home play in the first half and go in at the break two goals to the good, the first time Feyenoord have managed such a feat this season.

Huysegems got the opener on ten minutes when an intelligent through ball from Buijs was given the finish it deserved by the Belgian, who left keeper Björn Sengier chanceless with a diagonal drive.

Feyenoord looked fairly comfortable, although Willen II did give the visitors a couple of awkward moments. Redan drove just over on 29 minutes after a pass from Anouar Hadouir and a minute later it was Redan again with the Tilburg outfit’s best opportunity, which Timmer did well to save.


But the initiative swung back to Feyenoord, who showed they were in the mood to be clinical in front of goal. The next chance for the Rotterdammers finished with a goal when Buijs headed Nicky Hofs’ free kick into the net to make it two-nil.

Kolkka it was who grabbed goal number three, in the stadium the Finn earned his wages in the late nineties. It was Kolkka’s first goal for Feyenoord, but he will be hard pressed to score a more impressive one, controlling a long pass from Buijs, before rounding keeper Sengier and finishing diagonally close to the by-line.

At 3-0 Feyenoord must have felt secure, but then the match entered a crazy five-minute period. Willem II’s response to Kolkka’s effort was almost immediate. Poor defending allowed Bælum to grab a goal back for the hosts and the extra boost resulted in a second goal for the home side on the hour when Redan put away Ibrahim Kargbo’s cross with Timmer well beaten.

With just a single goal in it there was a clear danger that Feyenoord would crumble, but Kolkka popped up within sixty seconds to double his tally and the Rotterdammers’ lead.

The home side’s response was to attack, but there was clearly less edge to Willem II and Feyenoord put the three points beyond doubt with sixteen minutes left on the clock. Buijs was found in space by Theo Lucius and rattled number five home.

Willem II did manage to get within two strikes of Feyenoord on 78, but that had more to do with substandard officiating than anything else. Zsombor Kerekes saw his shot bang against the post, but the assistant referee clearly felt that it had been flesh rather than aluminium that had saved the Maassiders. Referee Van Hulten was convinced enough by his assistant to point to the spot and slap a red card on Tiendalli. Assou-Ekotto converted the penalty and Feyenoord played out the last twelve minutes with a man less on the pitch.

Willem II-Feyenoord 3-5
10’ 0-1 Huysegems
33’ 0-2 Buijs
54’ 0-3 Kolkka
56’ 1-3 Bælum
60’ 2-3 Redan
61’ 2-4 Kolkka
74’ 2-5 Buijs
78’ 3-5 Assou-Ekotto (pen)

Booking: Buijs, Nieuwendaal
Sending off: Tiendalli (75’ alleged handball)
Referee: Van Hulten

Feyenoord: Timmer; Tiendalli, Lucius, Bahia, Drenthe; Buijs, Greene (70’ Saidi), Hofs; Kolkka, Van Hooijdonk, Huysegems (78’ Derijck)

Willem II: Sengier; Wau, Bælum, Van der Struijk (80’ Nieuwendaal), Valencia; Hadouir, Assou-Ekotto, Kargbo; Messoudi, Redan, Bobson (63’ Kerekes)

Feyenoord Business CLub