Feyenoord were knocked out of the cup Wednesday, going down 3-2 at RKC in a game that went to extra time. Goals by Patrick van Diemen and Theo Lucius meant the teams were level at the end of normal time, but there were another three goals in the added-on thirty minutes. Unfortunately for Feyenoord, two of them were for the home side – through Fuchs and Keller – despite Keller helping the Rotterdammers out with an own goal in a match that saw Lorenzo Davids make his full debut for Feyenoord.

Feyenoord were well below par in the first half and they will have been relieved to reach half time without conceding. That it was still goalless had more to do with an impotent RKC forward line however: both Hans van de Haar and Martijn Reuser were unable to provide the finish Pius Ikedia’s crosses deserved.

There were other chances for RKC, who could have taken the lead on two minutes through Keller. The central defender drove the ball towards the net in a packed box, but Sebastián Pardo was on the line to clear. Van den Bergh was also a threat three times before the break, but Timmer was able to save every time.

The picture didn’t really change after the turnaround and Feyenoord came mighty close to falling a goal behind on 51 minutes. Ikedia’s shot was beaten down but the ball fell to Van de Haar who looked odds on to score about a metre from the line, but he someone conspired to put his effort past the post.

Feyenoord had received enough warnings, but Erwin Koeman’s side still seemed to be sleepwalking and that would be punished by Van Diemen on 58 minutes, who had all the time in the world to place his shot via the underside of the bar into the visitors’ net to give RKC the lead.

The hosts threatened once more through Ikedia and substitute Jordan Remacle, and it was down to an alert Timmer that Feyenoord were not chasing a two-goal deficit.

After Keller had headed over when free however, it was suddenly Feyenoord who were pressing at the other end. First Stein Huysegems fed Ali Boussaboun, whose shot was blocked by Rob van Dijk. And two minutes later André Bahia was given the opportunity to turn and shoot from close range, only to see his effort flash wide. The goal remained elusive, but the pendulum was clearly swinging in Feyenoord’s direction.

It wasn’t long before the Rotterdammers had the equaliser. And as so often this season at crucial moments again it was Lucius who grabbed it. The captain’s shot gathered so much speed on the wet surface that keeper Van Dijk couldn’t get a hand to the ball, which whizzed in.

Feyenoord could have even grabbed the lead for the first time before the end when André Bahia paced towards the home goal, rifling in a firm shot that Van Dijk did well to keep out.

The short break before the start of extra time came just at the right time for RKC, who were able to break the cycle of pressure exerted by the Rotterdammers. The result was a goal for the home side when substitute Fuchs first beat Dwight Tiendalli and then Timmer with a hard shot that put RKC back in front.

Feyenoord were not in the mood to submit however and the Maassiders had a second equaliser before long, when Keller deflected a shot by Lucius into his own goal.

Keller rectified things seven minutes later however, heading in a Fuchs corner at the near post despite the presence of Royston Drenthe to restore the hosts’ lead and ultimately send Feyenoord crashing out of the cup.

RKC Waalwijk-Feyenoord 3-2 (aet)
58’ 1-0 Van Diemen
83’ 1-1 Lucius
96’ 2-1 Fuchs
101’ 2-2 Keller (og)
108’ 3-2 Keller

Bookings: Buijs, Janssen
Referee: Blom

Feyenoord: Timmer; Tiendalli, Lucius, Bahia, Greene; Buijs, Pardo (69’ Davids), Hofs (69’ Drenthe); Kolkka (46’ Boussaboun), Van Hooijdonk, Huysegems

RKC Waalwijk: Van Dijk; Koenders, Bakens, Keller, Mulder; Van Diemen, Vicelich, Reuser (92’ Fuchs); Ikedia (102’ Janssen), Van de Haar, Van den Bergh (72’ Remacle)
Feyenoord Business CLub