Feyenoord made it two wins in a row with a hard-fought Eredivisie victory in Kerkrade Sunday. The Rotterdammers fell behind to a Ramzi effort on 20 minutes, but went in level at the break after Charisteas scored his first goal for the club on 40 minutes. The Maassiders started to dominate proceedings after the turnaround however and Huysegems ultimately secured all three points for Erwin Koeman’s side, which for the first time this season included Timothy Derijck, appearing as a second-half substitute.

Without Léonard but with De Guzman as playmaker, Lucius as central defender and Greene at left back in a 4-3-3 formation, Feyenoord made a promising start in sunny Kerkrade. Within minutes of referee Haverkort getting the match underway the Rotterdammers had already almost claimed the lead. Stein Huysegems created space for himself on two minutes, driving in an impressive shot from the edge of the box that demanded keeper Kujovic’s full agility to turn round the post for a corner.

But as in the previous away match against RKC, Feyenoord were generous to a fault, slowly but surely handing the early initiative back to the home side. And just like in Waalwijk, the consequence was a goal against around 20 minutes in. De Guzman was the player to lose possession; Ramzi was the player to take advantage, smashing an impressive shot into the far corner.

The goal was followed by a period of clumsiness in the Feyenoord defence, which led to a number of dangerous moments in the visitors’ penalty box. Van Tornhout had a couple of opportunities to double his side’s lead, but was not up to the task. That he didn’t converted the second of his chances was down to Henk Timmer, who pulled off a fine reflex save. It wasn’t the first time the Dutch international had denied a home striker when the odds on a goal were low either, saving well from Ramzi early in the encounter.

Feyenoord didn’t sit back and enjoy the ride however. Just past the thirty-minute mark Theo Lucius found himself with the space to get his head to De Guzman’s free kick, only to see his effort bounce wide. It was a good tonic for the visitors and Feyenoord started to get a grip on the game. The reward would come around five minutes before the break.

It was once again a De Guzman free kick that was the source of the threat. His cross appeared to elude everyone and Roda defender Saeijs looked odds-on to clear his lines. But that was without factoring in Charisteas, who quickly saw that his opponent was having problems getting the ball under control. The Greek pounced in typical goal-thief fashion, ramming the ball past Kujovic from close range to net his first ever strike for the club, an occasion he celebrated extensively with the Rotterdam fans behind the goal.

The leveller had an instant effect on the visitors, as Feyenoord grabbed the game by the scruff of the neck. Feyenoord could even have gone in at half time with the lead, had Huysegems not found the bar with his stinging effort after a De Guzman through-ball.

Feyenoord continued to threaten the hosts’ goal after the turnaround however, after Kolkka came in for Vincken. The result was an entertaining second forty-five, with early chances for Buys and Bahia.

The return came on sixty-five minutes, when Huysegems set up a one-two with Pardo, poking the ball into the net when he got it back to send the visiting fans into delirium. It would prove enough to secure Feyenoord their second away victory of the season.

Roda JC-Feyenoord 1-2 (1-1)
20` 1-0 Ramzi
39’ 1-1 Charisteas
65´ 1-2 Huysegems

Referee: Haverkort
Yellows: Cissé. Derijck, Tiendalli

Roda JC: Kujovic; De Fauw, Kah, Saijs, De Jong; Ramzi, Meeuwis, Bodor (74` Bouchiba); Oper, Van Tornhout, Cissé (55`Van Damme)

Feyenoord: Timmer, Tiendalli, Lucius, Bahia, Greene; Buijs, De Guzman, Pardo (74` Derijck); Vincken (46` Kolkka), Charisteas, Huysegems

Feyenoord Business CLub