Feyenoord suffered a second successive defeat, leaving them with just one point in nine when a smash-and-grab performance by ADO Den Haag secured all Eredivisie points at De Kuip Sunday. Finland’s Joonas Kolkka scored both goals to condemn Erwin Koeman to his first home defeat as Feyenoord coach and give the Hague side the double over the Maassiders this season. The game also saw Pascal Bosschaart earn a fourth yellow card, which keeps him out of next Sunday’s match against FC Twente.

Feyenoord started without De Guzman or Salomon Kalou against their relegation-threatened visitors, as Ali Boussaboun was given the opportunity to line up against his hometown club. The Moroccan once again worked his socks off in the Feyenoord front line, but he was unable to cause any real trouble in the danger area. He was not the only one however, as the hosts failed to impress in the final third early on. The only chance of the opening period came from the foot of Ron Vlaar, who rattled in a drive from 35 metres that Jaroslav Drobny had to work hard to keep from going in. By that time ADO had already tested their range in front of goal, with Geert den Ouden driving over as early as the first minute.

But Feyenoord started to flex their muscles as the half drew on and there was a rash of chances around the 25 minute mark. Two of them fell to Kuyt, who first shot wide, before going closer a couple of moments later, only to see Drobny make a fine reflex save to deny the international. Nicky Hofs was the supplier that time. Feyenoord appeared to be turning the screw on ADO, but the visitors slipped out of the vice on 32 to give the home side a jolt.

Kolkka raced towards Aerts while Alberto Saavedra lay injured and as the hosts waited for the Finn to play the ball into touch to allow his teammate to get some treatment, the striker played on. In the end Aerts was called into action to pull off a stop when Kolkka shot, saving not only a possible goal but also his teammates blushes.

Unfortunately, it was nothing more than a reprieve and it lasted but four minutes. Kolkka it was who again let fly and this time his wind-assisted effort veered out of the reach of Aerts to hit the back of the net.

Kuyt did have a chance to send the sides in level just before half time, but his header was scrambled away by the ADO defence.

Bahia and Boussaboun remained in the dressing room when the sides returned after the break. Pierre van Hooijdonk and Salomon Kalou took their places, as Koeman looked to cause more problems in the visitors’ penalty box. Yet despite monopolising the ball, Feyenoord continued to create little of note.

Indeed it was ADO that carried the greater threat, with fast-paced counters that exposed the Rotterdammers’ weaknesses as the home side pushed up the pitch. It led to a Den Ouden shot that Aerts did well to keep out, after good build up play by Mols.

Feyenoord continued to pressurise the Hague-outfit, but other than a Paauwe shot the home side were unable to create a sense of danger. ADO on the other hand continued to put the jitters up the home defence. The hammer blow came on 66, when Kolkka pounced from the edge of the box to drive in his second of the afternoon.

The goal knocked Feyenoord off balance and despite finishing the game with three pedigree goal-scorers Erwin Koeman’s side were unable to threaten the ADO goal further, eventually going down to their second straight league loss. 


Feyenoord – ADO Den Haag 0-2
36’ 0-1 Kolkka
66’ 0-2 Kolkka

Referee: Bossen
Yellow: Bosschaart, De Graaf, El Akchaoui

Feyenoord: Aerts; Collen, Vlaar, Bahia (46’ Van Hooijdonk), Bosschaart; De Guzman, Paauwe, Hofs; Castelen, Kuyt, Boussaboun (46’ Kalou).
ADO Den Haag: Drobny; El Akchaoui, Saavedra, Gibbs, Bakkati; Rzasa, Jungschläger, De Graaf; Kolkka, Mols, Den Ouden.

Feyenoord Business CLub