Feyenoord went down to a 1-0 defeat in their first Europa League Group G match against Rangers on Thursday night. Head coac...
Feyenoord have given Mark Wotte the freedom to talk with interested clubs about his appointment as coach. The Rotterdammers’ technical director admitted last week that he would like to return from the stands to the sidelines. A cancellation agreement will be signed Wednesday, ending Wotte’s two-year tenure at the club, who will transfer his duties to the other three board members over the next two week.
Feyenoord do not know who has contacted Mark Wotte. ‘That is none of our business,’ said director Chris Woerts. ‘We have listened to his request and his motivation. We then discussed it internally and gave our agreement. Mark has said that he is getting an itch to get back on the pitch. That was for us a more than clear signal.’
There have been no discussions on who will succeed Mark Wotte at Feyenoord. ‘Jorien Van den Herik has been an advocate of splitting that position for years,’ confirmed Woerts. ‘I could envisage that it is ultimately decided not to combine the technical responsibility with the commercial and financial responsibility. Negotiations on the buying and selling of players will accordingly be conducted by someone else than the person who makes the technical assessments. In football, that is now most often in the hands of the technical director, but that is outdated. And because we at Feyenoord have the qualities for that split position in house, I do not see us recruiting a new technical director.’