Erwin Koemn’s team made it six wins out of six in Enschede early Sunday afternoon with a star performance by Romeo Castelen. The international handed Feyenoord the lead half way through the first half and added a second within seconds of the turnaround. Dirk Kuyt got his mandatory goal at the death with a handsome drive after Daniël Majstorovic had given the home side some hope in a game that saw Shinji Ono start for the first time this season. Serginho Greene was forced out through injury at the break.

fter a couple of appearances off the bench Shinji Ono was finally handed his first start by Koeman. It was a great introduction to the Japanese for the coach, as Ono showed how comfortable he is on the ball in the first half. Castelen was another star man in Koeman’s side; the striker really gave Konstantinos Loumpoutis a headache on the right, although Salomon Kalou was having a quiet game on the left. Save once that is, when the striker almost grabbed a goal, bypassing two opponents before rifling in a shot that whisked wide.

Feyenoord were finding things tough early on, as the home side went close to opening the scoring a couple of times in the opening period N’Kufo had the biggest chance after a mistake by André Bahia, but Patrick Lodewijks was on hand to mop up the danger.

As the half wore on the Rotterdammers started causing some mayhem of their own. Kalou shot wide and then Kuyt and Castelen combined to beautiful yet ultimately useless effect, before the goal finally came on 26. Pascal Bosschaart took possession on the left, playing the ball into Castelen, who found himself in space. Castelen didn’t think twice about smashing in a drive that left keeper Remko Pasveer clutching at thin air.

The home side showed resolve by stepping up their own game and Lodewijks was the hero again when he saved a shot from distance by Culina and then tipped away a Majstorovic header with a fantastic reflex. Ramon Zomer got his head on the resulting corner and this time Lodewijks was beaten, but Alexander Östlund came to the rescue to head off the line.

Serginho Greene went down injured in a challenge with N’Kufo on 36, but was able to carry on after treatment. The signs didn’t look good for the youngster though, as he hobbled through to half time. The defender even returned to the field of play during the break to try to run it off, but he was eventually replaced by Karim Saidi at the start of the
second period.

Feyenoord got off to a great start after the turnaround as Castelen grabbed his second goal to put his side in the driving seat. Castelen did have keeper Pasveer to thank for failing to keep out a shot that he should have been equal to.

It again triggered a home offensive, but FC Twente appeared simply unable to make a fist of it. The only result was a string of corners and little in the way of clear-cut chances.

Until seventy minutes that is, when N’Kufo should have pulled a goal back, but the Swiss striker took too long to get his shot off and Lodewijks saved. A moment or two later Ouedraogo went close, but his shot rattled off the post.

Down the other end Castelen was close to getting a third, but he was unable to keep his effort down, as was Hossam Ghaly not long after.

The home finally got back into the game with just five minutes left, as Majstorovic headed home from yet another corner, but rather than threatening Feeynoord’s lead FC Twente found themselves 1-3 down when Dirk Kuyt rattled in a 20-metre plus drive to make the points safe.

FC Twente – Feyenoord 1-3
26’ 0-1 Castelen
46’ 0-2 Castelen
85’ 1-2 Majstorovic
90’ 1-3 Kuyt

FC Twente: Pasveer; Ouedraogo, Majstorovic, Zomer, Loumpoutis; Al
Ahmadi (54’ Afonso), Brama, Culina; Touma (77’ Bakircioglu), N’Kufo,
Shoukov (64’ Sibum).

Feyenoord: Lodewijks; Östlund, Greene (46’ Saidi), Bahia, Bosschaart;
Ghaly, Paauwe, Ono (82’ Pardo); Castelen, Kuyt, Kalou (67’ Boussaboun).

Feyenoord Business CLub