The Rotterdammers made it fifteen points from five games at De Kuip Sunday, brushing away the Frisian challenge with a powerful second-half display. One down at the break, Erwin Koeman’s side rattled in five after the turnaround, with two for Dirk Kuyt (2x) and one each for André Bahia, Patrick Paauwe and Salomon Kalou. The game marked the return of Shinji Ono to first team action, but another returnee who had less to cheer was Paul Bosvelt, who revisited De Kuip in the colours of Heerenveen.

Feyenoord found themselves a goal behind as early as the eleventh
minute, when Ugur Yildirim curled a trademark free kick beyond the
clutches of Patrick Lodewijks. It was an all-round disappointing
performance by the home team in the first half, although they did
manage to create a few chances as the game wore on.

Castelen should have celebrated his first start of the season with the
equaliser, when a mistake by Jeroen Drost left Kuyt with the ball at
his feet. The captain in turn fed Castelen, but he waited too long
before getting in an effort and his shot deflected off a defender’s leg
and over.

Kuyt was in the thick of it just a few minutes later again, setting up
Kalou this time, but keeper Waterman did well to save. The ball came to
Kuyt, but he couldn’t keep his effort down.

Heerenveen were happy to wait for a chance to present itself and five
minutes before the break Michel Breuer found himself in space as the
ball was pumped in from a corner and should have scored with his
header, although Lodewijks did mighty well to keep the ball out.

Feyenoord were no doubt concerned, but not in despair and the
introduction of Shinji Ono on 40 minutes increased confidence even
The second half began and Feyenoord seemed to understand the severity
of the situation, as the home side pushed forward straight from the
restart. The first results came just five minutes in. Castelen played
the ball in to Kalou, but the striker was unable to connect and the
chance went to waste.

The equaliser finally came another five minutes down the line, when
Kuyt decided to try his luck and test Waterman from distance. And the
striker found the keeper wanting as the ball hit the back of the net to
bring Feyenoord back on terms.

The goal gave the Rotterdammers a tremendous lift and Heerenveen found
themselves on the back foot. Lone striker Klaas Jan Huntelaar was
finding it tough ploughing a lonely furrow up front for the Frisians
and a cynical kick at Pascal Bosschaart earned him a red card.

Against ten men with something to protect, Feyenoord knew they would
have to show real resolve if they were to secure the all-important
second strike. But cheered on by the crowd, Erwin Koeman’s side
continued to bombard the visitors’ goal. Kalou aimed too high with a
drive, but the goal looked to be on the cards and the man who
ultimately got it was André Bahia. The game was 66 minutes old when the
Brazilian grabbed a scrappy but vital goal.

Pranjic almost got the visitors back on par not soon after, but the bar
came to the rescue as Lodewijks flapped. It was just a hiccough though,
because Feyenoord quickly added two more to wrap up the points. First
Greene found Kuyt, whose shot was too hard for Waterman, then Patrick
Paauwe rattled in a fourth on 75.

There was even time for Alexander Östlund to storm into the penalty
area in the last minute, only to be sent tumbling. Salomon Kalou
stepped up to convert the resulting penalty to round out a fine 45 for

Feyenoord – Heerenveen 5-1
11’ 0-1 Yildirim
55’ 1-1 Kuyt
66’ 2-1 Bahia
71’ 3-1 Kuyt
75’ 4-1 Paauwe
90’ 5-1 Kalou (pen)
Yellow: Lodewijks, Bosvelt
Red: Huntelaar (61’)
Feyenoord: Lodewijks; Östlund, Greene, Bahia, Bosschaart; Ghaly (82’ De
Guzman), Paauwe, Pardo (40’ Ono); Castelen (79’ Boussaboun), Kuyt,

Heerenveen: Waterman; Bakkati, Seip, Hansson, Drost (76’ Derveld);
Breuer, Bosvelt (87’ Nørregaard), Prager, Pranjic; Yildirim (84’
Tarvajärvi), Huntelaar.

Feyenoord Business CLub