Feyenoord rounded off the Nanjing tournament with win number two against Nacional of Uruguay by three goals to nil. Nicky Hofs opened the scoring on twelve, as Erwin Koeman’s side dominated before the turnaround. In the second period a Dirk Kuyt double secured the win for Feyenoord, although the game was marred by an unsightly brawl that led the Rotterdammers to leave the field for a full five minutes before returning to wrap up the win – within Hossam Ghaly however, who was red-carded.

Feyenoord didn’t quite come out of the blocks as strongly as they did a couple of days earlier, but the weather was as much to blame as anything. Even so, coach Koeman must have been happy with the way his side coped with the heat, as they stroked the ball around patiently waiting for an opening. 

Left back Ferne Snoyl was ruled out with a leg strain and he was replaced by André Bahia. In goal Lodewijks took over from Aerts, while Greene played right back and Paauwe and Saidi played in central defence.

Schreuder and Hofs started for the first time in the Far East, joining Sebastian Pardo across the midfield. But despite being one of the best players against Espanyol, the Chilean was unable to repeat the trick against his fellow South Americans, conceding possession the first two times he had the ball.

Thankfully it did not put his side on the back foot. The Rotterdammers were by the far the better side in the first half, although they didn’t manage to threaten the Uruguayans’ goal as much as they had threatened the Spaniards’ goal. That said, Feyenoord did take an early lead. A fine attack from the left saw the ball pass from Kalou to Castelen and finally to Hofs. The midfielder let fly only to see his effort hit the bar, but when the ball fell back at his feet Hofs made no mistake for the first goal.

Feyenoord’s second chance also fell to Hofs, who pulled his shot just past the post on 22, after leaving his opposite number for dead. 

Koeman must have been pleased that Nacional were unable to cause his defence many problems. The Uruguayans did go close through Fernandez, but the half was almost over by then. At the other end Kuyt might also have scored, but his attempt was kept out by the keeper.

After the break Feyenoord created more opportunities, not least through Kalou, who passed up two chances. Next up was Castelen, but he too was unable to punish Nacional. But the Rotterdammers finally extended their lead on 73, through Kuyt, and the new captain liked the feeling so much he scored another just minutes later.

Conceding two goals in two minutes was too much for the Uruguayan team and a strong tackle by Hossam Ghaly elicited a strong reaction for his opponent, who kicked the Egyptian to the ground. The outcome was a mass on-pitch brawl that involved just about everyone, including the substitutes. Kalou was singled out by the Uruguayan keeper and André Bahia rushed to the Ivorian’s help. 

The fracas lasted so long that Feyenoord decided to leave the pitch to give all involved time to cool down. Five minutes later Erwin Koeman’s men returned to the field of play. All except Ghaly, who was shown a red card for his initial offence. 

There was no further scoring as Feyenoord coasted to victory and Dirk Kuyt lifted his first cup as captain.

Feyenoord-Nacional 3-0 (1-0)
12´ 1-0 Hofs
73´ 2-0 Kuyt
75` 3-0 Kuyt

Red: Ghaly 

Feyenoord: Lodewijks; Greene, Saidi (68´Östlund), Paauwe, Bahia, Hofs (80’ De Graaf), Schreuder (75’ Ghaly), Pardo; Castelen, Kuyt (76’ Lazovic), Kalou.

Nacional: Bava; Caballero, Favaro, Suarez, Santa Cruz; Alves, Albornoz, Ferrari; Fernandez, Maidana, Irrizubal.

Feyenoord Business CLub