Feyenoord’s unbeaten run came to an end against the Eredivisie’s basement club Wednesday evening, as Ruud Gullit’s side suffered a crushing defeat at the hands of FC Den Bosch. The Rotterdammers played over 70 minutes of the game with ten men after Pascal Bosschaart was sent off, yet still managed to level things with less than a half-hour to play. But a three-goal whammy in the last 15 gave the home side an emphatic win that leaves Feyenoord in apparent disarray ahead of Sunday’s showdown against Ajax.

It all started with so much hope, but the Feyenoord game plan was only good to wrap fish and chips in within 17 minutes, when Pascal Bosschaart pulled down Powel after the home player had broken clear. The left back was shown an immediate red and when Cales rifled in the resulting free kick to give the home side the lead it was clear it wasn’t going to be a comfortable evening for the Rotterdammers.

It was a blow that knocked the stuffing out of Feyenoord. Despite eight wins on the bounce the Rotterdammers looked to be searching for some dynamism. Bart Goor tried to get his side going with two fouls and must have been relieved that he didn’t get a caution for his trouble.

That misplaced passion didn’t have the hoped-for effect, as a Kuyt shot that went wide was the only attempt on goal by the visitors before the turnaround. But with the home side also unable to add any goals to the scoreboard Ruud Gullit’s side remained in striking distance.

There was further disappointment for the Maassiders however when Nicky Hofs picked up a yellow card, which rules him out of Sunday’s game against Ajax.

But the weekend was the last thing anyone was thinking about in the second half as Feyenoord focused on wiping out the home side’s lead. Gullit brought on Lazovic to add some power to the forward line. Yet it was elsewhere that Feyenoord were putting the boot in and that earned Ono a yellow card.

The breakthrough finally came on 63 after a couple of chances for the visitors. Dirk Kuyt had the first opportunity, failing to keep his drive down, then Gibbs headed just wide. But Brazilian André Bahia was able to keep his headed attempt on target a little later to put Feyenoord level at 1-1.

The Rotterdammers were unable to drive the point home however and it was FC Den Bosch that looked the more dangerous. Koen van de Laak had a fantastic chance to give his team the lead again, but missed the target. He wouldn’t miss a second time though. Feyenoord player Ferne Snoyl – at loan to the home side – started the move, easing past Ghaly and laying the ball off to Van de Laak, who left Babos with no chance.

Within two minutes Van de Laak repeated the trick, and it was all but game over for Feyenoord. It was just a matter of how many the home side would get, as a Cas effort whistled past the post. When Leonardo brought down the same Cas in the area, Van de Laak looked like getting his second of the evening from the spot. Babos was up to the challenge, pushing out the penalty, but Olfers got to the ball first to make it 4-1.

FC Den Bosch – Feyenoord 4-1
18´ 1-0 Cales
63´ 1-1 Bahia
76´ 2-1 Van de Laak
78´ 3-1 Van de Laak
88´ 4-1 Olfers

Yellows: Bahia, Hofs, Ono, Leonardo (Feyenoord), Janssen (FC Den Bosch)
Red: Bosschaart (professional foul)

FC Den Bosch: Van Strien; Verhaegh, Olfers, Volmer, Snoyl; Haemhouts (67´ Van den Ouweland), Cas, Janssen, Powel (45´ Beekmans); Cales, Van de Laak (90´ Biyadat).

Feyenoord: Babos; Östlund, Bahia, Gibbs, Bosschaart; Hofs (46´ Lazovic), Ghaly (77´ Leonardo), Ono, Goor; Kuyt, Kalou.

Feyenoord Business CLub