There was a dream start for Feyenoord in Lisbon Wednesday night, when Bart Goor gave Ruud Gullit’s side an early lead against the hosts in the Uefa Cup. But Sporting came back strong before the break to grab two goals of their own and despite a red card for Custodio in the second half, the Rotterdammers were unable to get back on terms. That all means that the Portuguese will bring the slenderest of leads to De Kuip in a week desperate to score a goal, because Feyenoord will progress with a 1-0 victory.

Feyenoord had a fantastic start in the Estadio José Alvalade, looking dangerous going forward and sturdy at the back. Saidi in particular looked strong. That said Sporting did almost draw first blood, when Hugio Viana struck the bar in the sixth minute. But the visitors were ahead themselves within sixty seconds of that. Rochemback played the ball straight to the feet of Bart Goor, who placed his shot perfectly to give his side the lead.

The early goal eased the pressure on Feyenoord, but not for long. The Rotterdammers appeared to be in two minds after the strike. As a result Ruud Gullit’s side neither pushed on for a second nor sat back to soak up the pressure. So the Portuguese took the initiative and were back on level terms within a quarter-hour. The attack came down the right wing and when the ball ended up at the far post Custodio was there to net.

Feyenoord were finding things difficult, but still managed to create a few chances. The biggest was for Lazovic, who saw his shot cleared off the line by Custodio. Hofs too went close, firing just wide from distance. There were opportunities at the other end also, including one for Custodio, whose shot was tipped onto the post by Lodewijks.

On 36 Sporting took the lead. Sa Pinto crossed from the bye line and when Saidi and Zuiverloon failed to cover well enough Liedson got his head to ball to plant it past Lodewijks and into the net.

The deficit led Gullit to bring on Kalou for Lazovic at the start of the second half and Ono for Castelen with an hour played. The coach was hoping that the Japanese would give Feyenoord more of a grip in midfield and it did so fairly quickly. Things were helped by a second yellow card for goal scorer Custodio after a foul on Kuyt of course.

The game started to swing Feyenoord’s way after that but although the Rotterdammers looked more and more threatening as the game wore on, there was to be no more scoring.

Sporting Lisbon 2-1 Feyenoord
7’ 0-1 Goor
22’ 1-1 Custodio
37’ 2-1 Leidson

Sporting: Ricardo; Polga, Enarkarhire, Rui Jorge (82’ Barbosa), Rogerio (83’ Paito); Martins (61’ Moutinho), Rochemback, Custodio, Viana; Sa Pinto, Liedson.

Feyenoord: Lodewijks; Zuiverloon, Saidi, Gibbs, Basto; Castelen (60’ Ono), Paauwe, Hofs, Goor, Lazovic (45 Kalou); Kuyt.

Referee: Messner
Yellow: Paauwe, Goor, Hofs, Sa Pinto
Red: Custidio (2x yellow)

Feyenoord Business CLub