Feyenoord progressed to the quarterfinals of the Amstel Cup Wednesday with a fine win in a dramatic tie in Alkmaar. The hosts found themselves down to nine men with an hour still to play after two nailed-on red card decisions and though Dirk Kuyt missed a first half penalty, the club’s leading striker recovered to score a goal in each half to help the Rotterdammers on their way. Danko Lazovic grabbed the other goal.

Feyenoord looked hungry from the off and while it was AZ that had the fist chance, when Meerdink flashed an effort wide, the visitors soon had the match in their grip.

It was to be a spectacular first forty-five. Dirk Kuyt threatened to open the scoring with a powerful drive that was tipped over by Timmer, but the really drama came when Östlund found himself on his back after Barry van Galen took a swing at Feyenoord’s new Swedish import. Referee Luinge had little alternative but to brandish red.

Van Galen was hardly off the field before he was joined by teammate Perez, who used his hand to keep a Ghaly effort from going into the net. So with less than half an hour gone the home side were down to ten men and Feyenoord had a penalty.

With the opposition weakened Dirk Kuyt could have really put the visitors in the driving seat, but his spot kick was saved by Timmer.

It was only a matter of time though and ten minutes before the break Basto swung over an inviting cross that Kuyt nodded in at the far post to give his side the lead.

As often happens, it was the side with a full complement of players that found itself trying to get to grips with a depleted opponent. But Feyenoord didn’t take too long to find the right hold, flooring AZ for the second time in five minutes when Lazovic pounced on a rebound after Kuyt’s shot was saved, netting the second of the evening.

Even then, the Maassiders had Babos to thank that they got to half time without conceding, when the keeper took the ball from the feet of Landzaat as the home striker homed in on goal.

Feyenoord found things getting easier as the second half wore on. In his second game for the club it was Nicky Hofs who took the baton and directed play. A third goal almost came via Lazovic, but his shot rattled against the bar.

The chances became sparser after that as the Rotterdammers took their collective foot off the pedal and even when Adriaanse changed a third of his on-field personnel with twenty minutes to go Feyenoord didn’t look to be in much danger.

Indeed Kuyt almost added to the visitors’ total, only to see home keeper Timmer push his effort out.

In fact it was AZ that grabbed the next goal when Landzaat walloped in a drive from twenty metres out to cut the Feyenoord lead in half.

If the home side had had a full complement on the pitch they even might have stretched the visitors, but in the end Kuyt headed in a Hofs cross at the death to secure that quarterfinal berth.

AZ-Feyenoord 1-3(0-2)
35’ 0-1 Kuyt
40’ 0-2 Lazovic
83’ 1-2 Landzaat
89’ 1-3 Kuyt

Feyenoord: Babos; Östlund, Saidi, Gibbs, Basto; Castelen (75’ Pardo), Hofs, Ghaly, Goor; Kuyt, Lazovic.
AZ: Timmer; Kromkamp, Mathijsen, Opdam, De Cler; Landzaat, Van Galen, Buskermolen (70’ Lindenberg); Meerdink (70’ ELkhattabi, Huysegems (70’ Nelisse), Perez.

Red: Van Galen, Perez
Yellow: Castelen

Feyenoord Business CLub