The Rotterdammers came away from Friesland with a credible point in Sunday’s Eredivisie fixture, but it could and perhaps should have been three, when Dirk Kuyt added to Thomas Buffel’s first-half strike to give Feyenoord a two-goal lead midway through the second period. But a high-impact substitute by home coach Verbeek and two late home goals ruined the party for Ruud Gullit and Co. Even so, substitute Salmon Kalou came close to stealing all the points at the death.

The match was a big one for both sides and that led to a reserved start by both sides. It was clear however that Feyenoord were the better side, especially in midfield where Ghaly and Bosschaart soon took control of the match.

There were few chances however. Huntelaar found the side netting after only four minutes and Goor had a dig from distance ten minutes in, but things remain goalless. 

The biggest chance fell to Feyenoord halfway through the first forty-five when Bosschaart launched Kuyt into space. It looked for all the world as if Kuyt would get the breakthrough, but his effort ended up just wide.

Feyenoord owed their half-time lead to a wonderful combination on forty minutes. Goor was at the root of things, playing in Kuyt, who in turn found Castelen. Vandenbussche was quick to come out as the keeper tried to take the ball from Castelen’s feet, but the Dutch international played the ball to Buffel and he tapped home.

The goal opened up the match in the second half as the home side looked to level things. The result was an end-to-end encounter. Huntelaar might have converted either of his two encounters, but Kuyt too had a good opportunity to extend Feyenoord’s lead early in the second period.

Luck seemed to be on Feyenoord’s side, when Goor kicked the ball against his own hand in the visitors’ penalty box and Lady Fortuna intervened again when Paauwe held back Huntelaar without causing referee Bossen to blow for a penalty on either occasion.

Feyenoord thanked their lucky stars and promptly went to the other end of the pitch and doubled their lead. Loovens found Castelen, whose pass put Kuyt through on the keeper and the striker made no mistake.

Verbeek made a double substitution almost immediately. One of the new introductions was tall striker Samaras, which paid dividends in minutes. He nodded Yildirim’s free kick passed Lodewijk’s almost unchallenged to haul the home side back into the match.

The goal unleashed a hectic period that saw Feyenoord wobble more than once, but it looked at one stage like the visitors would hold firm. That particular fiction was exposed by Yildirim with only five left on the clock. His free kick again undid the Rotterdammers, this time the ball sailed straight into the net for the equaliser.

Just on for Buffel, Kalou might have nicked it right at the death, but his attempt ended up just wide of the post and the match ended even-steven.

SC Heerenveen-Feyenoord 2-2 (0-1)

40’ 0-1 Buffel
71’ 0-2 Kuyt
73’ 1-2 Samaras
85’ 2-2 Yildirim

Yellow card: Loovens

SC Heerenveen: Vandenbussche; Bakkati, Hansson, Seip, Rzasa; Yildirim, Radomski, Hestad (71’ Samaras), Selakovic (71’ Sikora); Rose, Hunterlaar.

Feyenoord: Lodewijks; Gyan, Loovens, Paauwe, Mtiliga; Castelen, Ghaly, Bosschaart, Goor; Buffel (87’ Kalou), Kuyt.

Feyenoord Business CLub