Feyenoord washed away the bad taste of last week’s Eredivisie defeat and the tiredness of a midweek return trip to Budapest to sweep away NAC Breda at De Kuip Sunday. The home side’s goals came from Dirk Kuyt, a double strike by Bart Goor and Thomas Buffel. And it would have been more had Kuyt not missed a second-half penalty. The afternoon’s bad news came courtesy of Karim Saidi, who limped out of the game before the break.

Feyenoord started the game with three new faces due to suspensions and an injury to Romeo Castelen. His absence signalled the return of Thomas Buffel in the starting eleven. Hossam Ghaly took the place of the suspended Bosschaart and the other suspended Feyenoorder, Song, made way for Chris Gyan.

Feyenoord were highly concentrated in the early stages and the approach paid off relatively quickly. Goor had already had a shot saved in the seventh minute by the time the home side opened the scoring round the quarter of an hour mark. Ono’s free kick was headed on by Saidi for Kuyt, who knocked the ball through the keeper’s legs.

That put Feyenoord in the driving seat and they took their foot off the accelerator, coasting the rest of the half.

The only setback in the first forty-five was the loss of Saidi. The Tunisian picked up an injury halfway through the first period and though he tried to run it off, he was forced out of the match just before the break. His replacement was Glenn Loovens.

With the youngster on the pitch the Maassiders almost crafted a second goal before the turnaround. Some fine build-up play by Kalou left Kuyt with just the keeper to beat, but Schollen managed to get a hand to the lob and divert the ball from its dangerous course.

But the second half was still young when Feyenoord eventually doubled their lead. This time Kuyt was the creator and Goor the scorer, heading a ball from the right back across the goal and into the far corner.

Not long after that Kuyt looked like adding a third when Goor was floored in the area and referee Zonneveld pointed to the spot. This time though, Kuyt blasted his penalty too close to the keeper, who beat it away.

But Feyenoord did increase their lead late on when Buffel finished a one-two with the same Kuyt by rattling the ball into the net for three-nil.

And there was even time for a fourth, this time by the other Belgian in the service of Rotterdam, as Goor took a dig at the NAC goal from twenty metres or more as the clock ran down, finding the net for his second and a perfect finish to the afternoon.

Feyenoord-NAC 4-0 (1-0)
14’ 1-0 Kuyt
47’ 2-0 Goor
86’ 3-0 Buffel
89’ 4-0 Goor

Feyenoord: Babos; Gyan, Saidi (41’ Loovens), Paauwe, Mtiliga; Ono, Buffel, Ghaly (65’ Lazovic), Goor, Kalou (83’ Zuiverloon), Kuyt.

NAC: Schollen; Colen, Colin, Penders, Gudelj; Slot (70’ Stam), Zonneveld, Mendes da Silva; Cornelisse (65’ Van den Eede), Boussaboun, Lurling.

Referee: Braamhaar

Feyenoord Business CLub