Feyenoord were knocked out of the Amstel Cup at the quarterfinal stage Wednesday in Enschede. It was a thrilling encounter that stretched to extra time, but the home side managed to score twice in the second fifteen minutes of the extension. A disappointing end for Bert van Marwijk’s men, who snubbed a raft of chances to win the tie themselves in normal time.

The match was a real cup tie from the off, with chances at both ends in a fast-moving encounter. The first serious opportunity fell to Feyenoord on 13, when Thomas Buffel was put clear by Robin van Persie. The Belgian had two bites of the cherry, but failed both times, as keeper Cees Paauwe saved the first effort and the second attempt found the post. Twente had the next goal chance. The home side broke at lightning speed as Ramzi found N’Kufo, but the striker couldn’t beat the bar. The first goal went to Twente on 21 minutes when N’Kufo pounced to net after a Ramzi free kick. Feyenoord kept their heads after the goal and Schreuder and Pardo ran the midfield and Smolarek, Buffel and Kuyt made themselves available time after time. The reward came within ten minutes, when the hard-working Smolarek crossed from the right and Kuyt nodded in for the equaliser. There were no more goals in the first half, although the game continued to buzz. De Visscher had a shot beaten down by Lodewijks and Van Persie had a pot from distance, but his effort was too weak to trouble Paauwe. The second half continued in the same fashion and Feyenoord had the best chances initially. First Smolarek went close, then Buffel appealed for a penalty when he was pulled down in the area by Pothuizen and the Belgian had another shot stopped by Cees Paauwe. Minute 67 of the tie passed without a goal, even though three Feyenoorders might have given their side the lead. Kuy, Smolarek and Van Persie all spurned their chances however. The home side were coming under increasing pressure, but the Rotterdammers were unable to turn possession into goals. More opportunities came and went for Smolarek and Van Persie (twice). Even the arrival of Lazovic failed to secure the breakthrough. So the game went into extra time and nerves turned to jelly in the first Silver goal half. After the turnaround, Feyenoord continued to look like the team most likely to, but with five left on the clock Twente found the key to the door, taking the lead through Sibum, and when the visitors piled forward in search of another equaliser, adding a third through Christensen to take the tie and knock Feyenoord out. FC TWENTE-FEYENOORD 3-1 (AET) 1-0 N'Kufo (20) 1-1 Kuijt (29) 2-1 Sibum (110) 3-1 Christensen (112) FC TWENTE Paauwe, v.d.Weerden, Pothuizen, Zomer, Heubach, De Visscher (Cziommer/56), Sibum, Niemeyer, Gakhokidze (Polak/119), Ramzi (Christensen/99),N'Kufo FEYENOORD Lodewijks, Song, Van Wonderen, (Bombarda/114), Paauwe, Van Haaren, Smolarek (Lazovic/86), Pardo, Schreuder, Van Persie, Kuijt, Buffel
Feyenoord Business CLub