A 1-1 draw in was not enough to save Feyenoord from UEFA Cup elimination Thursday evening at the hands of Teplice. Young defender Ferne Snoyl handed the visitors a first half lead, but the Rotterdammers were ahead for less than ten minutes all told, ultimately bowing out 3-1 on aggregate. Things might have been different if Buffel and Lurling had scored late on. Both their attempts were foiled by the post.

Teplice packed their defence from the off, but Feyenoord refused to go all-for-nothing and were instead happy to play the ball around looking for an opening. That patience led to a number of good chances for the visitors, although the first serious opportunity didn’t come until the twentieth minute, when Ono was unable to keep his shot down. Lurling got past his man on a few occasions down the left, but the final ball typically left something to be desired. Buffel too, playing just off Dirk Kuyt, most often made the wrong decision when the ball landed at his feet. At the back Feyenoord looked secure, by and large due to the influence of Van Wonderen and Paauwe in the centre, as Snoyl and especially Song both looked unsure at time. Yet it was Snoyl who gave the Rotterdammers the lead on 33. An attack down the right switched to the other wing via Kuyt and Snoyl let fly. And perhaps the youngster was as surprised as anyone to see his effort hit the back of the net from around 20 metres out. The goal was just what the doctor – and more to the point the coach – ordered, but within seven minutes the scores were level again. This time it was another defender – Chong Gug Song – who played the leading role. His sliding tackle in the area was adjudged to be against the rules by the French referee and Horvarth converted the penalty on 40 minutes. In the second half, with two goals needed to take the tie Feyenoord found themselves facing a yellow-blue wall. The chances became harder to create for Feyenoord as the game wore on. Ono had two attempts from distance steeds, but the visitors did not get much closer to the Czech goal. Until, that is, Snoyl put in a good cross from the left on 69 and Buffel might have given it the finish it deserved, but the Belgian’s far post shot went over. The best opportunities were still to come however. First Buffel hit the post after being fed by Kuyt. Then Lurling looked certain to give Feyenoord the lead, but his effort also struck a post. Bert van Marwijk decided to throw on Mariano Bombarda for Lurling and then Smolarek for Van Persie, but the game ended without any more goals, as Feyenoord’s UEFA Cup adventure ended. Teplice-Feyenoord 1-1 (1-1) 33’ 0-1 Snoyl 40’ 1-1 Horvath (pen.) Feyenoord Lodewijks; Song, Van Wonderen, Paauwe, Snoyl; Schreuder, Ono, Buffel; Lurling (73’ Bombarda), Kuyt, Van Persie (80’ Smolarek). Teplice Kolar; Dolezal, Rada, Hunal, Leitner; Verbir, Lengyel, Vorisek (88’ Tesarik), Horvath; Rezek (75’ Divecky), Bencik (90’ Skala). Yellows: Snoyl, Horvath, Schreuder, Leitner
Feyenoord Business CLub