It was a night to forget at De Kuip Thursday, for the home fans at least, as Feyenoord went down 0-2 to FK Teplice. Coach Van Marwijk¡¯s side was forced to play most of the match with ten men and conceded an early goal, which didn¡¯t help matters as Feyenoord looked impotent in attack most of the game. The Rotterdammers are now faced with a mountain to climb in the second leg in three weeks.

Van Marwijk’s well-laid plans were scuppered within minutes of the start, when Gill Swerts was forced to pull down Rezek who threatened to race clear on goal. Greek referee Briakos was left with no choice but to pull out the red card and point the young Belgian towards the tunnel. Then things went from bad to worse, as the Czech’s made the most of the resulting free kick – Dolezal curling the ball around a helpless Zoetebier to leave Feyenoord a man down and a goal down within 6 minutes. The coach responded immediately by pulling off Anthony Lurling and replacing him with Chong-Gug Song to bolster the weakened defence. Feyenoord found it hard to get any fluency into its play and the first half rolled on with the visitors in full control. In the 25th minute Horvath got round the back of the home defence, finding Bencik with his ball in, but Paauwe was alert enough to avert the danger. At the other end, Feyenoord looked unable to create anything of worth, save once near the end of the half. Snoyl found Paauwe in a forward position and he fed Leonardo, whose shot was too weak to cause any problems. Things got worse for Feyenoord when Shinji Ono failed to reappear after the break due to injury. His replacement was Kees van Wonderen, whose return to action after his own injury was earlier than expected. Van Wonderen’s presence did seem to spur on the home side initially, but in the 56th minute Rezek popped up at the near post to score the Czechs’ second of the evening and it was basically game over. Buffel did have a half-chance, as did Kuyt after a Paauwe free kick, but in the end Feyenoord didn’t have the might to turn things around. Feyenoord-FK Teplice 0-2 (0-1) 3’ 0-1 Dolezal 56’ 0-2 Rezek Feyenoord: Zoetebier; Swerts, Van den Berg, Paauwe, Snoyl (74’ Lazovic); Kuyt, Ono (46’ Van Wonderen), Schreuder, Lurling (7’ Song); Buffel, Leonardo Teplice: Kolar; Dolezal, Rada, Hunal (14’ Skala), Leitner; Verbir, Lengyel, Vorisek, Horvath; Rezek (81’ Divecky), Bencik (90’ Ryska). Referee: A. Briakos Yellows: Lengyel, Hunal Red: Swerts
Feyenoord Business CLub