Rotterdam will have to do without more European football this season after going down to the odd goal in five at home to Newcastle Utd in the Champions League Wednesday. Despite hauling themselves back from two down halfway through the secondhalf, Feyenoord were caught by a sucker righthook that left the Toon Army celebrating and the home fans punchdrunk. As Anthony Lurling said after the game, ‘Now we’ll just have to win the championship.’

The game was a halfhour in before it threw up the first real chance. Feyenoord were busy claiming a handball by Dabizas in the area while the Magpies counted quickly. Bellamy suddenly found the way clear to the home goal and only Patrick Lodewijks prevented the visitors from opening their account there and then. Feyenoord started to get its attacking act together too, though Kalou was having trouble staying onside early on. Bosvelt had the first serious opportunity, blasting his shot just wide of the post from the edge of the penalty area. The next chance was even better as Lurling found Buffel in the box. The Belgian skipped past keeper Given, but was unable to get his body behind the shot, and though the rebound fell to a red and white shirt, Lurling was unable to make anything of it. In firsthalf injury time it became clear just how costly Feyenoord’s goalshyness was as Shearer got his head in front of Van Wonderen’s to find Bellamy, who sped past Paauwe and placed the ball wide of Lodelijks to hand Newcastle the lead. The visitors doubled their lead within four minutes of the restart after Tomasz Rzasa bit off more than he could chew on the edge of his own penalty area, losing the ball to Jenas, who fed Viana and he slid the ball past Lodelijks to give Feyenoord a real mountain to climb. The home reacted well however and attacked the English side looking for a way back. An Emerton effort was worthy and then Lurling went close, but it was clearly a striker was needed to make the breakthrough. That striker came on after fifty-one minutes in the stead of Song and when he connected with a Kalou throughball on 64’ it was suddenly 1-2. The Legioen had hardly sat down when Anthony Lurling got them on their feet again on 70 minutes with the equaliser. With De Kuip in ecstasy the home side continued to probe, searching for the winner that would see them through to the competition’s second round as Newcastle hung on as best they could. But football would not be football if it were more predictable than it is, and no one could have predicted what was to happen, as the Magpies suddenly broke and Bellamy rifled home the winner for the English side via Lodelijks to send the Rotterdammers tumbling out of Europe. FEYENOORD 2-3 NEWCASTLE UNITED 45’ 0-1 Bellamy 48’ 0-2 Viana 64’ 1-2 Bombarda 70’ 2-2 Lurling 90’2-3 Bellamy Feyenoord: Lodewijks: Gyan, Van Wonderen, Paauwe, Rzasa; Song (51’ Bombarda), Bosvelt, Emerton, Lurling; Buffel, Kalou. Newcastle United: Given; Griffin, O’Brein, Dabizas, Hughes; Jenas, Dyer, Speed, Viana (82’ Bernard); Bellamy, Shearer. Referee: Wack (Germany) Yellow cards: Paauwe, Griffin, Bombarda, Bellamy
Feyenoord Business CLub