Feyenoord went down to the Germans from Hamburg in their first game of the Alpen Cup last night. After shooting blanks over ninety minutes the Rotterdammers went down 3-4 in the end after penalty shootout misses by Van Wonderen, Bosvelt and Rzasa. The UEFA Cup winners now take on another Bundesliga outfit Kaiserslautern in the third-place playoff Thursday night 7.15 CET. HSV take on Fenerbahçe in the final.

Feyenoord took the field in a very adventurous lineup after an injury crisis in the camp. Zoetebier, Paauwe, Kalou, Ono, Van Persie and Van Hooijdonk all sat this one out. Johan Elmander managed to hobble out of the treatment room to play in attack, alongside Brian Pinas on the left and dos Santos on the right. New man Anthony Lurling took on the role of the now departed Tomasson just off the pace up front. Van Wonderen and Bosvelt formed the engine room in midfield, in front of De Haan and Gyan at the back and Carlo L'ami in goal. It was therefore a chance to see what the Lurling and Pinas could do. The latter made the stronger impression early on. He showed how fast he can be over ten metres and clearly feels he can get past his opponents. The youngster got down the left a couple of times within the first fifteen minutes, but was unable to find the right pass. Lurling was unable to make any great impression in attack, but did look strong in patches. He doesn’t give the ball away and he has a nose for goal. This game was however not the best opportunity for anyone to show what he can do, as it quickly settled down in to a low tempo with few goal chances. The second period was little different. After an hour Van Marwijk brought on Thomas Buffel for Pinas. The young Belgian took up a position behind Emander, while Lurling moved out left. It didn’t affect the game a great deal however. Emerton saw a shot blocked for a corner, but the best moment came from Buffel on seventy minutes, who took out his direct opponent with a dummy before chipping the oncoming keeper, only to see the ball land the wrong side of the bar. Van Marwijk gave Collen a runout, taking off Gyan, but there were to be no goals in normal time. HSV almost stole the honours with a late, late show, but Carlo L'Ami blocked twice and the game went to penalties. The first four spotkicks didn’t find the net and when Rzasa missed Feyenoord’s sixth the Hamburgers made no mistake with theirs to claim the win.
Feyenoord Business CLub