Johan Elmander

There were fireworks before and after this scintillating UEFA Cup quarterfinal, but the real fireworks were on the pitch as Feynoord came back from a goal down to knock PSV out of the tournament and book a place for themselves in the semis. In the end it was the Regent of Rotterdam Pierre van Hooijdonk who catapulted Feyenoord into the next round with an injury time header and a last strike in the penalty series that decided the winner.

It was a fantastic atmosphere in the Kuip as the match began and that would continue throughout the game. That said, the play on the pitch was less adventurous than the crowd had hoped as both sides showed they knew exactly what was at stake. It was PSV of course that needed to score, and Feyenoord looked as if they were happy to spare their energy. There again, the visitors failed to really create anything, although they did stop Feyenoord creating anything themselves. PSV sculptured one chance in the opening phase, when Tomasz Rzasa handled on the edge of the box, but Bouma was unable to find the target with his dead ball effort. Van Hooijdonk and Tomasson continued their good work from the first leg by not allowing PSV to build from the back. Kalo had the first real effort, on eighteen minutes, with a header which Waterreus had no trouble with. Soon after Van Persie sent in a beauty from the left and Tomasson was inches short from putting the home side ahead. Next up was Emerton who charged through but when the ball fell to Paauwe the defender’s scissors kick went just wide. Feyenoord created their best chances at the start of the second period. Bosvelt motored down the middle and fed Van Persie on the left. The youngster lined up his shot before letting go, only to see his effort go wide. Two chances followed. First Faber got his head on a Van Hooijdonk effort to send it out for a corner when it looked like he might score. Then Bosvelt shot just wide. Ramzi came on for PSV, but Feyenoord continued to press. At the back Van Wonderen played a perfect game against the PSV strikers Vennegoor of Hesselink and Kezman. Yet it was the visitors who scored first. Van Bommel let off a scorcher from 35 metres that flew into the net to turn the heat upon Feyenoord. The goal meant the home side had to go hunted and the inevitable gaps were left at the back. As the rain started to pour down it looked as though Feyenoord chips were up. And then came Pierre van Hooijdonk. As stoppage time ticked away the ball came into the box from the right and the big man rose majestically to find the net and send the crowd into raptures. The match went into extra time with both sides looking dangerous, but then Van Bommel was given his second yellow PSV shut up shop and Feyenoord were unable to break them down, so the match went to penalties. PSV started Bruggink and Ooijer, Ono and Paauwe all scored. Then Gakhokidze saw his effort saved by Zoetebier. Feyonoord went on to complete the series when Van Wonderen and Bosvelt converted and in the end it was all down to the big man. The man who looks pressure in the eye and laughs. Van Hooijdonk stepped up and stroked the ball into the back of the net and Feyenoord into the semifinals of the UEFA Cup, where they will meet Borussia Dortmund, AC Milan or the other Milanese outfit Internazionale. Feyenoord-PSV 1-1 (0-0) Feyenoord win 5-4 on penalties 76’ 0-1 Van Bommel 90’ 1-1 Van Hooijdonk Feyenoord: Zoetebier; Emerton, Van Wonderen, Paauwe, Rzasa (84’ Leonardo); Kalou, Bosvelt, Ono, Van Persie (70’ Smolarek); Tomasson (84’ Elmander), Van Hooijdonk. PSV: Waterreus; Bogelund, Ooijer, Faber, Heintze; Rommedahl (76’ Gakhokidze), Van Bommel, Lucius (64 Ramzi), Bouma; Vennegoor of Hesselink (90’ Bruggink), Kezman. Referee: Graham Barber (Eng) Yellow card: Faber, Kalou, Heintze. Ono Red card: Van Bommel (2 x yellow)
Feyenoord Business CLub