Press conference McLeish

It was a night to savour in the Kuip, as Feyenoord marched into the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup on the back of a 3-2 win against Glasgow Rangers. The Dutch outfit deserved the 4-3 aggregate victory, but it was a nailbiter. Two men saw red and Pierre van Hooijdonk came back to haunt the Gers with two fantastic free-kicks in front of a sell-out crowd.

The game started in a fabulous atmosphere as the crowd turned on the style. Feyenoord began cooly, but it was Rangers that took the lead on 26 minutes. Bosvelt felled Ronald de Boer in the middle of the park. Barry Ferguson found McCann with the free kick and the Rangers striker slotted the ball past Zoetebier from close in. It was a kick in the teeth for the Rotterdammers, after the hard work they put in to get an away goal last week in Scotland, but it meant that the home side had to score twice to win through. Thankfully Bert van Marwijk’s team didn’t panic and looked dangerous on a number of occasions. Robin van Persie in particular was looking superb on the left, delivering a couple of fine crosses that almost let in Emerton, who headed over, and then Ono, who was a couple of centimetres short of latching on to the ball at the near post. But when the goal came it was from the foot of the scourge of Rangers Pierre van Hooijdonk. The big man was held back just over twenty yards out, close to the middle of the goal. It showed a lack of intelligence in the visitor’s defence, bearing in mind Van Hooijdonk’s abilities, and he punished them big time, smashing the ball into the bottom corner. Almost inconceivably Rangers fell for the same trick again just before the break. Amoruso it was who gave away the free-kick and Van Hooijdonk said thank you very much again to send Feyenoord in at half time two goals to one in front. The home side then came out in the second half with all guns blazing. Van Persie turned Vidmar inside out on the left side of the box before shooting against the post, but the ball came out to Van Hooijdonk, who whipped it onto Kalou’s head for three-one. It should have been game over but a lack of concentration at the back let Mols in. It was all Partick Paauwe could do to bring the Dutchman down. The referee point to the spot immediately, and sent Paauwe packing with a red card. Ferguson put the penalty to bed. Three-two. A nervous period for Feyenoord began. Van Wonderen moved into defence and the Scots started to press. Caniggia was looking strong on the left and the main Rangers pressure came from that side of the field. The pressure lifted a little on 72 minutes however when McCann fouled Emerton unnecessarily and saw yellow. It was his second and he was off. Feyenoord then rode out the last minutes to record a vital victory. Feyenoord-Glasgow Rangers 3-2 (2-1) 26’ 0-1 McCann 36’ 1-1 Van Hooijdonk 44’ 2-1 Van Hooijdonk 46’ 3-1 Kalou 53’ 3-2 Ferguson (pen.) Feyenoord: Zoetebier; Emerton, Loovens (85’ Sprockel), Paauwe, Rzasa; Kalou (76’Smolarek), Bosvelt, Van Wonderen, Van Persie (90’ Elmander); , Ono, Van Hooijdonk. Glasgow Rangers: Klos; Vidmar (74’ Flo), Wilson, Amoruso, Numan; Caniggia, Ferguson, De Boer (38’ De Boer); McCann Lovenkrands Referee: Mr. H. Fandel (Ger) Yellow card: Vidmar, Emerton Red card: Paauwe, Mc Cann (2x yellow)
Feyenoord Business CLub