Goals by Tomasson and Van Hooijdonk handed Feyenoord a share of the points in a full-blooded tussle against FC Utrecht at Nieuw Galgenwaard Sunday afternoon. In a game marked more by determination than dexterity, both sides were prepared to fight for every inch of turf. Indeed, Feyenoord will surely be happy to come away with a 2-2 draw, from a ground where both Ajax and PSV have found it hard going this season.

The sell-out crowd witnessed a fantastic opening phase. There were only two minutes on the clock when Shinji Ono sent Jon Dahl Tomasson through on goal. The Dane kept a cool head as he rounded goalie Harald Wapenaar to put his side in front. The lead was short lived however as Utrecht stepped up the pressure. On five minutes Tanghe struck the woodwork with a free kick and Dave van den Bergh reacted first as the ball ricocheted back of the post, tapping into the net from close in for the equaliser. Both sides continued to create chances and play some pretty football at the same time. Two Feyenoorders in particular were having cracking games. One, Brett Emerton, was looking secure against the dangerous Van den Bergh, but was also valuable coming forward with some fine build up play. The other, Patrick Paauwe, was radiating confidence at the heart of defence, as Ferry de Haan was kept busy by the livewire Gluscevic. It was the home side that took the bull by the horns though. First, Zoetebier was forced to make a wonderful save from another Tanghe free kick, but ultimately the Utrecht midfielder was not to be denied, combining with Gluscevic and Kuyt to put his side ahead at the break. In the second forty-five it was initially as you were. The Utrecht whirlwind showed no sign of slacking and Feyenoord could do little but hang on. Things looked as if they could only get worse when Ferry de Haan was forced to retire with a groin problem. Glenn Loovens came off the bench to replace him. So Feyenoord’s equaliser just after the hour mark came out of the blue. Kees van Wonderen crossed beautifully from the right where Van Hooijdonk headed the ball into the back of the net to send the travelling fans wild. The goal gave the visitors extra oomph in the last half-hour. Emerton was closest with a shot from the left and Tomasson thought he had scored in the last minute only to see his goal ruled out for a foul on Elmander. No advantage for Feyenoord, then and the game ended all square: 2-2. FC Utrecht-Feyenoord 2-2 (2-1) Scorers: 2’ 0-1 Tomasson 5’ 1-1 Van den Bergh 38’ 2-1 Tanghe 64’ 2-2 Van Hooijdonk FC Utrecht: Wapenaar; Bosschaart, Roest (67’ Schut), Zwaanswijk, Van Mol; Tanghe (88’Jochemsen), Touzani, De Jong, Van den Bergh; Kuyt, Gluscevic (73’ Roiha). Feyenoord: Zoetebier; Emerton, Paauwe, De Haan (58’ Loovens), Rzasa; Elmander, Bosvelt, Van Wonderen, Ono; Tomasson, Van Hooijdonk Referee: J. Wegereef Yellow cards: Roest, De Haan, Paauwe, Zwaanswijk, Roiha.
Feyenoord Business CLub