Goals from Jon Dahl Tomasson, Pierre van Hooijdonk and Ebi Smolarek were enough to hand Feyenoord victory in the team’s first game of 2002 Tuesday evening. The Rotterdammers ran out 3-1 winners against Kaiserslautern, currently fourth in the Bundesliga, in a stop- start match on a difficult pitch to claim a place in the final of the Maspalomas tournament.

Although it’s tough to draw any conclusions from Bert van Marwijk’s formation in this friendly in the sun, it does look as if Patrick Paauwe has won the battle of the centre of defence. Paauwe’s confidence in the role is clear for all to see. He hit a post within sixty seconds from a free kick on the right and a minute later cleared from his own line as Miroslav Klose was close to opening the scoring. Pleasingly, Paauwe in defence gives Kees van Wonderen an opportunity to move up to midfield, his preferred position. Untidy The first half was far too untidy for its own good. Both teams did their best to play controlled football, but the poor surface and the ocean wind that blew through the modest stadium at Maspalomas made things difficult. Feyenoord started best, passing the ball about flowingly and keeping possession, but it was the Germans who were the more dangerous on the break. The opening goal came from the head of Pierre van Hooijdonk, who nodded in a Brett Emerton cross, only to see the goal ruled out for pushing. In the end it was down to scoring partner Jon Dahl Tomasson to hand his team the lead just after the half hour, as he took advantage of chaos in the German box to guide the ball home. After the break Van Marwijk replaced an impressive Tomasz Rzasa with trialist Mauricio Aros. The Chilean took some time to find his feet, but would soon show his worth. Kaiserslautern grabbed an equaliser on the hour when Thomas Riedl raced through to score. Feyenoord might have wondered why they were not two or three up by that stage, after creating chance after chance. All that was missing was the killer touch in front of goal. So it was no more than deserved when Feyenoord regained the lead with ten minutes left on the clock, Pierre van Hooijdonk slotting home a penalty, and then extended their advantage in added time through Ebi Smolarek to run out 3-1 victors. FEYENOORD-KAISERSLAUTERN 3-1 (1-0) 32' 1-0 Tomasson 61' 1-1 Riedl 80' 2-1 Van Hooijdonk (penalty) 91' 3-1 Smolarek FEYENOORD Zoetebier; Emerton (93. Gyan) , Sprockel, Paauwe, Rzasa (45. Aros); Elmander (85. Leonardo dos Santos), Van Wonderen, Ono, Smolarek; Tomasson, Van Hooijdonk FC KAISERSLAUTERN 1. G.Koch; 4.Knavs, 5. Hengen (45. 21.Strasser), 24.H. Koch; 30.Basler, 28.Malz, 10.Lincoln (81. 18.Petterson), 13.Riedl; 9. Lokvenc, 15.Bjelica, 25. Klose Spectators: 3500 Referee: Michael Riley (UK)
Feyenoord Business CLub