Giovanni van Bronckhorst scarcely recognised his own team in Sunday’s 0-2 defeat to Fortuna Sittard. The loss brought to ...
Bilal Başaçıkoğlu has agreed to join Kayserispor with immediate effect. Feyenoord had already reached agreement with the Turkish Süper Lig club on the terms of the 23-year-old’s move to central Anatolia.
Bilal Başaçıkoğlu joined Feyenoord from sc Heerenveen in July 2014 and signed a new three-season contract in April 2017. The speedy winger developed well during his four years at De Kuip, although he was unable to nail down a starting place. That said, Başaçıkoğlu did make 103 competitive appearances for the club, winning the KNVB Cup twice, the Johan Cruijff Shield and the Eredivisie title in 2017.
‘We would certainly have been happy to see Bilal stay at Feyenoord,’ said technical director Martin van Geel. ‘But we understand that he wants to try to win a starting place elsewhere after a number of years as an often valuable substitute. When a respectable offer comes in we certainly don't want to frustrate him. We do not begrudge him his chance and wish Bilal every success in Turkey.’
Bilal thanks fans
Başaçıkoğlu is pleased that Feyenoord cooperated on the transfer. ‘I’d obviously hoped to become a regular at De Kuip, but I’m glad I was able to contribute to the successes of recent years. First and foremost, it was fantastic to be part of the team that finally won the Dutch title again for the fans. I would like to thank everyone at Feyenoord and the fans for the past few great seasons and wish the club every success in the future.’