‘The confidence is back,’ said a satisfied Feyenoord head coach Giovanni van Bronckhorst on Friday afternoon, two days ...
Terence Kongolo committed to Feyenoord for an extra twelve months on Wednesday afternoon, signing a one-year extension to his current deal. It means the 23-year-old is now contracted to the club until 1 July 2019.
It is the fourth time that that Kongolo has pledged his future to Feyenoord. Now in his fifth season as a member of the first-team squad at the club, the left-footed defender has made 106 Eredivisie appearances. He has three Dutch caps and won a KNVB Cup winner’s medal with Feyenoord last season.
‘I’m very pleased to be extending my stay at Feyenoord,’ said Kongolo, who joined the club as an F pupil. ‘I’m thankful to Feyenoord for having brought my through, for having given me my debut five years ago and for expressing their confidence in me again with this new contract.’
Technical director Martin van Geel was similarly upbeat. ‘We are happy to have been able to extend Terence’s contract prematurely again – just like last year. Terence has been an important player for several seasons, not least because he can play in central defence and at left back. I’m still convinced that he can take a similar step to other players that have broken into our first team via the academy, like Stefan de Vrij, Bruno Martins Indi and Jordy Clasie. Terence himself also sees opportunities to continue along his path at Feyenoord.’
Kongolo is the fifth player this season to extend his contract prematurely at Feyenoord, after Sven van Beek (2019), Karim El Ahmadi (2019), Bilal Basaçikoglu (2020) and Rick Karsdorp (2021).