Feyenoord subdue FC Emmen after the break

Feyenoord won their third match in a week at the De Oude Meerdijk stadium in Emmen on Sunday Goals from Jan-Arie van der Heijden, Steven Berghuis, Orkun Kökcü and Tonny Vilhena (a penalty) secured a 4-1 win. All the goals came in the second half.

Feyenoord created plenty of chances in the first half, but were unable to convert any of them. Keeper Kjell Scherpen was therefore able to keep a clean sheet through to half time, to the frustration of the 375 visiting fans.

Tonny Vilhena, Sam Larsson, Steven Berghuis, Jeremiah St. Juste and Jens Toornstra were unable to finish and Giovanni van Bronckhorst’s side were actually lucky not to go in a goal down at the break. Caner Cavlan hit the post for the hosts, while Justin Bijlow was forced into action to deny Alexander Bannink.

Eredivisie debut for Kökcü
After the break, without St. Juste and Toornstra, who were forced off with shoulder and hamstring problems respectively, Feyenoord made a better fist of it with Bart Nieuwkoop and debutant Orkun Kökcü on the pitch. Even so, the opening goal did not come until the final half hour, when Jan-Arie van der Heijden netted after a hard drive from Berghuis was parried.

Berghuis doubled the lead on 70 minutes. Kökcü claimed the assist as the midfielder got his goal shortly after fluffing a penalty, which he smashed against the post.

The tension returned for a short while when the hosts pulled a goal back through Anco Janssen, but a fine piece of skill from Berghuis restored Feyenoord’s two-goal cushion. Berghuis sent an FC Emmen defender the wrong way with a shimmy, playing the ball back to Kökcü, who crowned his first appearance with a goal.

Fortuna Sittard next
Vilhena made it 4-1 on 89 minutes with another penalty, cementing Feyenoord’s third win in a eight days. The victory takes Feyenoord to 35 points. Next up is a home match against Fortuna Sittard next Sunday  (kick-off 4:45 CET). Tickets are available here.

Feyenoord Business CLub