Feyenoord made it three wins in a three matches with a win against FC Emmen on Sunday, leaving head coach Giovanni van Bron...
Terence Kongolo has extended his Feyenoord contract. On Monday afternoon the 20-year-old signed a new three-year deal, which runs until mid 2017. Kongolo’s existing contract was set to end next year. ‘I am very confident that I can make further progress at Feyenoord,’ said the proud defender, who spend a large part of his youth at the Feyenoord Academy and has racked up 23 appearances for the first team.
Kongolo, who made his Feyenoord debut last season, was a member of the Dutch national squad that made it to the semi-final of this summer’s World Cup. The selection was rich reward for the youngster’s performances in 2013-14, his breakout season when he cemented his place in the first team at his club and made his debut for his country.
Kongolo admits that he still has plenty to learn at De Kuip. ‘I don’t have a huge number of first-team appearances in the Eredivisie to my name. So I think it’s better for my development if I stay at Feyenoord for a while. I’m very confident I can make further progress at this club.’
Martin van Geel was extremely satisfied to retain the services of the talented international for the club. ‘It was a long process, which has resulted in a new three-year contract, to the satisfaction of both parties,’ said the technical director. ‘Terence is a fabulous player with a lot of potential. To my mind by extending his stay at Feyenoord he has taken a very sensible decision. He will get every opportunity to continue his development here. Last year he was outstanding in showing his promise. Now a new phase has begun in which more is expected of him. We are very confident that Terence can become an even more important player for this Feyenoord.’